MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - MMA vs Street Fighter

View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
I dont get how any of this is relevent to what I said.
My answer was relevant in as you claimed "MMA Vs Street Fighter is only relevent as in trained fighter Vs untrained fighter." and supported the "MMA doesnt work" attitude of your sensei. I gave you reasons why this isn't true.

Quote:
But as with JJ training against multiple opponents and arm attacks, yeah sure, that stuff works...but are you a master of it? If not, it's not that effective.
I don't believe in "mastering" a fighting skill. To me that would imply to be perfect and flawless - always, in every situation. Which you can't, because every fighting situation is different. Nerve conduction velocity is limited (~ 100m/s), your brain has to process the incoming information etc. So perfection is biologically impossible. With training you can only gain a high aptitude in skill. And no credible JJ/Self Defense/etc. instructor would tell you that with his training you're protected against multiple opponents and armed attacks. You just better your odds.

Quote:
Again, the main training will be awareness and experience in those situations. Takedowns and stuff are alright in a street fight, but generally it just happens. You're usually not standing in the middle of an open field at the time. You try and take a dude down and you probably go against a wall, and you only have so much time before someone tries to break it up or the cops come. Best thing in a street fight is near enough always to keep it standing and for a trained fighter, to use his ability to see punches coming and avoid them to make the difference and gap between a trained and untrained fighter becoming very clear. My mate said 3 people attacked him a few months ago. From karate sparring, which is jabbing and straights, he said their haymakers were SO easy to avoid, and he never got caught by one until they were stopped by someone passing by. Chokes and shit only work when you've been training them daily for years upon years, and I mean martial arts chokes. If you're training your guillotine in MMA class, you're training for sport, not self defence, which is where "dirty" shit catches you off guard.
Both statements are false. 1) You don't need to pratice chokes daily for years to be able to execute them in a fight. I.e. a RNC (or Hadaka Jime for Japanese martial arts like Karate) can be internalised when training twice a week in a month or so. 2) "dirty" shit doesn't necessarily catch fighters that train for sport off guard. Even in purely sports oriented Olympic Judo classes they teach that "dirty" techniques are only illegal if the referee sees them.

Quote:
Theres a difference between going all out and street fighting. I wasnt meaning swing for the fences Leben style. I mean MMA cardio and general stamina. You dont need CARDIO because you're not going to be fighting a 25 minute fight. Shit will be over within 5 minutes 90% of the time.
5 Minutes can be pretty long when you don't train cardio. Ask Shane Carwin, who is a professional athlete and even trains cardio. To neglect cardio in training for street fighting is plain stupid. Yes, often a fight is over in a few minutes, but you never know. You don't want to gas in 30 seconds. And in case you have to run away, you want to have a gas tank to be able to do so.

Quote:
If you hold him down and he cant move, desperation sets in. In MMA, this means submissions and attempts to get up. In a real life fight, this means trying to bite your face off. You might be a hardy guy for all I know, but someone starts biting your cheek off you're going to freak the fuk out. Just human nature. In MMA guys drop for like 2mins with a groin shot, wait till some dudes trying to rip them off.
I don't know where the reference is to what I've written. You answer completely off topic. My statement was an answer to your claim that take downs don't work in a street fight, now you come up with biting again. You even quoted my statement. As a reminder, here it is again:

"Thinking that take downs don't work in street fights is also wrong. Firstly, most people don't know how to defend a take down. Secondly, on the streets you don't fight on suspended ground covered with a mat. Because of that, a good take down has a pretty high chance to result in a KO. And if you know how to use take downs on the street, the guy doesn't just fall on an even concrete floor (which is already quite damaging), but on curb stone, car edges, spiky fences etc."