• Draw

Votes: 2 3.0%

***OFFICIAL*** Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn Thread

25K views 238 replies 79 participants last post by  Sterl 
#1 ·
Welterweight bout: 170 pounds

See less See more
#200 ·
Rory is simply too skilled, too big, too strong. Man those Brazillian kicks were wicked. BJ deserves all the credit for taking every single one of those shots.

It's a changing of the guard man. UFC needs to pay everyone double for such a wicked card tonight; BJ vs Rory, Shogun vs Gustaf, Yves Edward vs Jeremy Stephens, Jorgensen vs ?, Bendo vs Diaz. Great night of fights!

#203 · (Edited)
Rory started fighting professionally when he was 16.

He still has the mind of a 16 year old with his... "I want to fight Condit and get my revenge" mentality.

Been locked in the gym too long. lol

BJ did better than I thought he would.

BJ's still training in the stone age, Rory's training in a modern age, there's no comparing the two.

#204 · (Edited)
These "Rory is creepy" comments are cracking me the **** up. He looks a lot like Kenflo if you ask me, but I definitely agree something about him creeps me the **** out.

I believe Rory tools Condit, he would have won the decision had their last fight not been stopped like 15 seconds before the bell. Rory has a very stable build for his weight class, where as Condit looks like he could fill himself out and be a more powerful athlete at 185. And for some reason I'd love to see GSP vs Ben Henderson, they have very similar builds and I'd say they're only 10lbs apart.

#208 ·
Problem is he's (BJ Penn) always got something to prove and that's a testament to his competitive nature. As one mentioned above it's a modern era of MMA as shown by Rory. He attacked from all angles; clinch, grapping, takedowns, striking with combinations, with kicks in his repertoire. BJ had three attacks. His jab, right cross and left hook. A few knees.

The match to make is a rematch against Condit although Hendricks would be very interesting. I really wonder if he will challenge GSP.

#212 ·
Just watched the post fight conference.

Apparently he said "he'll cross that bridge when he gets there." Then he backtracked and said no, probably not since GSP helped em a lot and he did not want to "backstab em," plus "tri-star has done a lot for his career."

That I do respect. But it still puts a lot of questions in the air. Will they eventually fight or is this the reason why GSP will officially move up.

After reflecting on this fight. BJ at 170 is like a V4 engine vs everyone who's a V8, at least at 155 he's running on a V6. He's simply outmatched. He could have beaten Hughes II, GSP first time, and Fitch had he not gassed. Simple as that. It's too taxing on his body to go a full three rounds even. I don't even want to see a five rounder. But in 155 he goes a full five rounds no problem. He lost the fight against Edgar the first time. I don't think he took em seriously enough. That's what put em on a tail spin. Go back to 155 reclaim the throne or at least work his way up to contender status and bow out gracefully. Heck BJ at 145 vs Aldo would be extremely interesting.

BJ brings in Hughes and he almost beats Fitch. This guy surrounds himself with a bunch of yes men. Nobody pushes em. Same scenario with Fedor and Mirco. How can you achieve optimal performances and evolve without training against people who can kick your butt on a daily basis. That's the only way to improve and test yourself.

Flip side the LHW title holder, Rory, and the plethora of rising stars are where they are today because of their training camps. Talent will only get them so far. Just like the Lakers. You can have all the stars in the world, but without the ZEN MASTER to guide you through it's just a bit tougher.

I think BJ will bounce back. Nate Diaz went through the same odyssey.

#213 ·
y surrounds himself with a bunch of yes men. Nobody pushes em. Same scenario with Fedor and Mirco. How can you achieve optimal performances and evolve without training against people who can kick your butt on a daily basis. That's the only way to improve and test yourself.
Not sold on that. Woodley, Thompson, Askren, Hieron, Healy. Those guys were 100% pushing him.

#219 ·
BJ weighed in at 168 - that tells me he didn't do much with his weight leading up to the fight.

That's probably what he weighs naturally when he's training for a fight, so he either has to cut from ~168 to 155, or just take fights at 170, but against bigger opponents who are cutting weight. People have always questioned BJs training, dedication, etc... and I just don't think he wants to go through the weight cutting process anymore.

#224 ·
Opinions on Rory Macdonald have really changed my feelings towards a lot of people on this board.

The guy is seriously one of the nicest and coolest people I've ever met. And because he beat the living shit out of BJ Penn everyone hates him. Gotta love the internet.

#227 ·
Honestly thats not at all the reason I'm hating on him.
I knew he was going to massacre Penn but something about him just rubs me the wrong way, he comes off as cocky, arrogant and creepy. But hey unlike you, I've never met the guy so I could be dead wrong I guess.

I just put him in the same category as Jon Jones, and I'm not a fan of his personality either. Same as with Jones I think Rory will achieve greatness as well.

#230 ·
I don't think I'm biased as I did place a massive bet on Rory. Can't say I was too happy about winning cuz I knew it could very well be BJ's swan song.

From an outside perspective Rory does seem a bit aloof. To me it's not about his style sense more about his demeanor. I can't quite pinpoint it. He seems devoid of any emotions or any personality. As far as being a likeable guy I can see it especially when he said he wouldn't fight GSP. That I do respect.

Rory vs Eric Silva, Fitch or Hendricks would be interesting along with a rematch against Condit.

#231 ·
Jones and Rory act totally different from each other. Sure Rory maybe creepy but he doesn't hide anything from the public. I respect people who act like how they present themselves. Jones on the other hand is a whole different story and that is why a lot of people don't like him. Also Jones said he would never fight Rashad and he did. Lets see if Rory can keep his word.

I was rooting for BJ the whole time but he took a hell of a beating. It was hard to watch for sure and BJ got mad heart.
I didn't really like how Rory was show boating either but it didn't bother me as much as some people. It just showed how outclass BJ was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.