• Draw

Votes: 2 3.0%

***OFFICIAL*** Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn Thread

25K views 238 replies 79 participants last post by  Sterl 
#1 ·
Welterweight bout: 170 pounds

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope Penn can make this a scrap early on. One thing I don't like about BJ is his bottom game. For such a BJJ stud his guard game has looked average in MMA fights. When it should be the opposite because he isn't a guy that likes to go for TDs.

I still think on the feet Penn dots Rory up. But Rory won't look to trade much. And I don't see little Penn sweeping big ass Rory. This is a 145er vs. a 185er.

Rory by UD.

#6 ·
I hope and would love to see Penn pull this one out but sadly I don't think its gonna happen. MacDonald is on a role looks like he has no where to go but up at the moment, while Penn is more on the decline and hasn't shown the ability to handle top notch welterweights in a long time. Penn does often make a decent fight of it so I wouldn't be surprised to see him have his moments especially on the feet and early in the fight but eventually I think McDonald will over power and wear Penn down allowing him to control the fight winning a decision.

#10 ·
I can't bet against Penn knowing he is bringing in some true high level training partners.
Josh Thompson, Pat Healy, Tyrone Woodely and Ben Askren. About freaking time.

But am I the only one who thinks its weird Josh Thompson went to train with BJ considering Fitch had a tantrum and wouldn't let BJ go train at AKA.

#12 ·
I think win or lose this is the fight that will make Rory for the rest of his career. I think it goes one of two way where it is either an epic fight of legendary proportions or its a fight were Rory believed his hype and leaves kinda embarrassed in his performance but either way I think it will make him a better fighter for having taken this one.

#13 ·
Rory all day, he's been so impressive. Very natural fighter, yes he's surrounded by great guys but you can see in the chaotic parts in the Condit and Diaz fights, he's a very powerful, natural fighter as well.

Time to pass the torch, you're too old to rock, no more rocking for you Penn! But if you do win this fight it'd be epic.

#15 ·
I really hope BJ's cardio is on point. If it is, I think he takes it by tko/sub. I wonder if an immediate takedown is something he's considering as well. Either way I don't want to see a gassed BJ getting his face smashed into the canvas for the last 10 minutes.

#16 ·
i don't know what to think of this fight. at first it was like yeah exciting first round then Rory will smash.. Now though, Penn looks in good shape and i mean in better shape than we have EVER seen him... even if his cardio isn't at an elite level, he will be faster and far more explosive and be able to keep it up for possibly two rounds instead of just one..

#19 · (Edited)
What's Rory actually good at? Like I mean, really good at, one area in his game where he excels over all or most of his opponents?..... He hasn't got one.

People ramble on like he's the next big thing, the next champ, this great prospect, but if you ask me, he's just another Charles Oliveira. A stupidly over hyped prospect.

Rorys biggest advantage is his strength. He's a strong guy and punches hard. His striking defense is sloppy, his take downs aren't pretty either. People also like to casually forget or ignore just how badly Condit beat the snot out of him in round three. Rory could have auditioned for a part in a Pan's Labyrinth sequel at the end of that fight.

BJ wins via being the better over all fighter.

#20 ·
Rory is good at everything, he's a modern fighter. If he's not having his way in one area, he can take the fight in a different direction with confidence.

And if you want to quote the Condit fight, Rory was handling him very well, winning the first two rounds in all areas. He said himself it was too much too soon, big opponent on the main card for his second UFC fight. Experience lose him that fight, not skills.

#22 ·
Rory is good at everything besides his bottom game, i expect BJ to shoot for the TD sometime in the first and put a beating on him, you know BJ has been watching the Condit fight and taking notes.. i really hope his updated physique has some cardio to go along with the strength boost..

#25 ·
Rooting for Penn as always.

Base on recent record, dont count on Penn's cardio against WW. But he is still a threats against any top WW in the first round. He was pretty even against GSP during the 1st round of their 2nd fight and looking good against Fitch and Diaz during the 1st round of their fights. Penn need to take this via KO/TKO during the 1st round.

But if this goes beyond the first round, chances is Penn might be overhelm by Rory. :(

Either way, WAR PENN!

#26 ·
Yeah, Diaz and Fitch are my two favorite UFC fighters at the moment and Penn made both of them look silly for a brief moment at the beginning of both of those fights.

The problem for Penn is when the other guy gets out of the position he picks up his ball and goes home.

The only time I've ever seen Rory in a bad position, he caved and got TKO'd so I think that's a good sign for Penn in this fight.

But the second that bell rings at the end of the first round, Rory wins. Penn has to stop him in the first.

#29 ·
Rory's standup is overrated, it simply isn't very good. Certainly not at the level of BJ's boxing. I could see BJ doing to Rory what he did to Hughes in their 3rd fight. Rory is a beast on the ground but his technique on the feet especially his head movement is no better than average.

Penn by KO round one or two.

#30 ·
BJ sounds insanely motivated, has done all the right things in camp brought in the right people and just wants to remind everyone he is one of the greatest of all time.

Rory sounds dismissive like he is looking past BJ and like he is enjoying living up life and his new found fame. That isn't to say he is being lazy but he doesn't seem to be taking it as serious as BJ. (Did I really just type that? Seems so strange)

#32 ·
Hard to argue that for sure... however I also remember a fifth round BJ Penn chomping at the bit like a wild dog in the Sanchez fight... that was actually the moment that won me over for Penn, you could read his thoughts seemingly saying "if I have to take this guys head off, this isn't going to the judges".. and he damn near did.

Havind said that, I also think Rory is a freak of nature... I don't think he's overrated, and I think he is the future... Rory has everything to gain here in my opinion. Should he lose, I don't think he'll lose much hype, most will chalk it up to BJ coming to fight the way he should...

This is actually one of the most interesting fights I can remember in years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.