MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Does Benson Henderson get enough respect as Champion?

View Single Post

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Iuanes
Featherweight

Iuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A Baller
Does Benson Henderson get enough respect as Champion?

The Fox broadcast framed his fight against Diaz as a 'respect' fight. Which I somewhat agree with. Henderson has consistently been near the top wherever he's been fighting, but he seems to be constantly looked over as just another name in lieu of other supposedly superior lightweights who simply need to hit their groove to get their crown and dominate the division.

Let's face it, lightweight is a minefield of possible contenders and fighters who don't seem to be able to be finished. I don't hold it against Bendo for not having a finish in the UFC and its impressive that he's managed to survive his UFC tenure without a loss (though detractors will bring up the Edgar fights).

After his performance against Diaz, will Bendo be seen as a more credible Champion?

He has the gas tank, the athleticism, the skills in all areas, and the gameplan to beat anybody I think or at least stay relevant for a long time.

Yeah, his post fight Jesus rallies are corny, but I think people that hold that against them might be indulging in the same narrow-mindedness that they supposedly abhor. It almost feels like he just does that to troll people.

I think a fight everyone wants to see is a Pettis rematch, because that fight was insane. Unfortunately Pettis hasn't been able to keep apace with Hendo in the UFC to have that fight be possible yet, so the question remains to be asked,

Who's next for Bendo? Who can beat him? (No Edgar fanboys please)
Iuanes is offline   Reply With Quote