MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Jones and MacDonald - Is the hate justified?

View Single Post

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding

LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Jones and MacDonald - Is the hate justified?

This just came to me but I think it's reasonable to bring up.

Back in 2011 Jon Jones became nearly universally despised after winning the title, the reception he got when he weighed in against Machida and Rashad wasn't very good at all, and people began calling him a fake and phony saying his good guy Christian act was just that, an act.

Now in the last few months it seems as if Rory MacDonald has now become a villain in the build up to his fight with BJ Penn, many get the impression that Rory comes off as a weird guy, which I also get that impression but it's not enough for me to brand him a villian, he's changed a lot since his fight with Mike Pyle though.

Rory and Jon have one thing in common they both beat a beloved fighter from the "old school" which caused me to remember the time when Rashad Evans was universally disliked after he, much like Rory and Jon beat someone who the old guard of MMA fans loved in Chuck Liddell.

Is there something to this? Do the people who watched MMA during the 90's and the early 2000's have a problem with seeing guys like BJ, Shogun, and Chuck getting beat by a younger, new breed of fighter? Or do you generally feel like Jones and Rory are just bad people outside of the cage?

9/27/14
LL is offline   Reply With Quote