Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann headlines UFC Japan.

3K views 38 replies 37 participants last post by  El Matador 
#1 ·
The UFC will be returning to Japan on March and the organization has announced that the fight card will be headlined by a light heavyweight bout as former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva will meet Brian Stann. UFC on FUEL TV Logo

UFC officials announced the main event on Wednesday night and also announced other bouts which include Diego Sanchez returning to the lightweight division against Takanori Gomi and Siyar Bahadurzada meeting Dong Hyun Kim in a welterweight bout.

“After an amazing event last February, we’re excited to bring the UFC back to Japan for the second year in a row,” said UFC President Dana White. “Japan has such a big fan base that we knew we couldn’t stay away for too long. I can’t wait to get back to Japan in March!”

Silva (34-12-1, 1NC) entered the UFC in 2007 after being one of the top stars in the Japanese promotion Pride. He has gone 3-5 in the UFC since 2007 and is 2-2 in his last four fights. He has not been in the octagon since UFC 147 earlier this year, when he lost a five round fight to Rich Franklin by decision.

Stann (12-5) is the former WEC light heavyweight champion and has gone 4-2 as a middleweight in the UFC. He lost lost two of his last three fights, with his most recent fight coming at UFC 152 against Michael Bisping which he was defeated by decision.

UFC on FUEL TV 8 will take place from the Saitama Super Arena in Japan and will take place on March 3rd and the fight card will air live in the United States on March 2nd because of the time difference.

The current UFC on FUEL TV 8 card is below:

Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann
Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt
Diego Sanchez vs. Takanori Gomi
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Siyar Bahadurzada
Riki Fukuda vs. Brad Tavares
Takeya Mizugaki vs. Bryan Caraway
Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Marcelo Guimaraes
Kyung Ho Kang vs. Alex Caceres
Kazuki Tokudome vs. Cristiano Marcello
http://themmareport.com/2012/12/wanderlei-silva-vs-brian-stann-headlines-ufc-on-fuel-tv-8-in-japan/

Wanderlei's going to sleeps me thinks.

#6 ·
Likely cause sandy doesn't want to play the Gillian role in Japan he is beloved so he can still be the fan favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#5 ·
This card looks sweet and makes me miss the good ole days of Japanese MMA. Hunt has the best chance of winning out of my Pride heroes so long as he can avoid lanky Struve's submissions me thinks. I'll be rooting my ass off for the Axe Murderer to put Stann in the plumb and end it in brutal fashion. It'd be cool to see a sub out of him like the Dude said as well, but Brian is going to be a tough go for Wandy. Gomi needs to go watch BJ's demolition of Sanchez and attempt to mimic that but I'm pretty certain he's getting wrestled down all night.

#7 ·
Oh man. He should fight Vitor for his retirement fight although at this stage in his career it probably won't end pretty.

This is one of those times where MMA MATH goes awry. Stann obliterates Leben, Bisping beats Leben and Stann, but loses to Wandy. Wandy gets KOed by Leben.

I don't know how his chin is going to hold up. Stann has a lot of raw power...concussive power. If Stann goes in brawling style he'll win in 10 seconds flat. I don't think Wandy can hurt Stann even with a full shot to the chin...daze em...stagger em...but not to the point where he gets cleanly knocked out.

Stann throws concentional shots while Wandy has those loopy over hand bombs + his arms are too short. Stann will beat em to the punch every time.

Such a BAD match up. He should fight against Cote. That would be a little bit more entertaining.

#8 ·
Im so conflicted here. I guess I wont know until its over whether I'll be really happy that Brian Stann won in devistating fashion or really sad that Wandy lost in devistating fashion. Im a huge fan of both guys. These are 2 dudes in MMA that you can't help but like. They both come to fight hard every time. I think if it's not too late for Stann, he can get some better wrestling and really be a solid top 5. Wandy is just on his way down. I <3 Wandy though and most my fav's are on their way out. The Brian Stann's of the world are what give me hope that there'll always be guys out there to really rally behind. I liked him since WEC.

#13 ·
May the old pride Spirit guides Wand here. I disagree that Wand lost his power, specially if he's back at 205, but he is not a fighter to be all methodic. He doesn't work well like that. All flurry is dangerous for his chin is gone. So he has to mix up to find the perfect time to flurry.
If some would say Bendo/Nate was a fight btween two of the least liked characters, this is all the way around for Stann and Wandy are super nice.

#20 ·
WAR WANDY!!!!

Ignore the naysayers Wanderlei. You'll smash him. Why am I typing like he's going to read this?

Two of my favourite fighters are fighting on that card. Struve and Wandy. I want them both to smash their respective opponents, obviously, but I can see it all going horribly wrong with both of them getting KTFO in Round 1. :(

#28 ·
Apparently Wandy didn't want to cut weight and Stann said that there's no fights at the moment at 185. I think it's an excellent choice because Wandy loses his cardio and power at 185. He's too drained. Stann looks even better at 185 cuz he retains his strength, but he's much fitter.

Wandy's chances increases at LHW by 10%. So at 185 I'd say Stann KOs Wandy 8 out of 10. I'm being a lil biased towards Wandy. At LHW 7 out of 10 at this stage of Wandy's career. He can't charge in and brawl anymore because his body will not allow it so that takes away his game and fear from his opponents.

We might actually see past the first round. If Wand goes for the takedowns he could get a decision.

At the twilight of his career Wandy should make his last stand at where he feels most comfortable. Home of the RISING SUN at the weight class he ruled with brutal totality in a once legendary organization known as PRIDE FIGHTING.

Reactions: evilappendix
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.