Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Melendez wants Bendo next

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  El Bresko 
#1 ·
"I want to fight Benson Henderson," Melendez told Bleacher Report. "I think a champion versus champion fight makes absolute sense right now. I think we already know how things are going to work out between Benson Henderson and a lot of other lightweight fighters in the UFC, but I'm that mystery fighter. No one really knows how I'm going to matchup with anyone. I have been around for a long time and have been the top lightweight in the world before Benson or any of these other guys.

"I think I have a lot of answers for his style. Sometimes he fights a wrestler like Guida who doesn't have great hands and sometimes he fights strikers who can't really wrestle. Look his fights against "Cowboy" Cerrone back in the day or even Pettis. I have that wrestling pedigree where he ain't taking me down and I'll be stuffing some shots. I'm not backing away and I'll be dropping some bombs. I'm not an easy guy to stand with. I have a lot of power and I'm not running away from kicks. I don't run away from anything. I hold my ground. I'll be coming for him and anything he dishes out I'll be answering back twice as hard.

"I think everyone would be really excited for this matchup and I guarantee it would be a great fight. We can do it in the Octagon or the Strikeforce cage -- it doesn't matter to me. Henderson is the fight I want and let's make it happen."
article...

Interesting fight, still see Bendo winning though

#2 ·
I think Gilbert is pretty overrated TBH. He will be a top 10 LW in the UFC but I doubt he'll ever contend for the title if he doesn't receive an immediate title shot upon entering the UFC.

He won't fight Nate, can't see him beating Pettis, Maynard or Jim Miller. Cerrone is a toss up.

He could lose if he gets matched up with guys like Nurmagomedov, Lauzon, TJ Grant, Dos Anjos, even Tibau and Volkmann and it's not as if the majority of MMA fans really know much about those guys (aside from Lauzon), so a loss to any of those guys would really damage Gilbert's career and the likelihood if him losing to these guys really isn't as small as some may think.

#3 ·
Melendez is way over-hyped in my opinion. I really don't see him beating any top competition in the UFC. His two biggest wins were against Clay Guida and Josh Thompson. And he lost his first fight to Thompson unanimously. He doesn't deserve a title shot right off the rip and really should prove himself before he's given a title shop.

#12 ·
I agree that he is not a finished product, but man you guys are overrating Chandler. He is a very solid fighter but he wouldn't be a top 5 UFC LW let alone champ right now.

His whole career thus far is based off a good performance over Alverez...another highly overrated fighter. Chandler started gassing half way through that fight...that won't fly vs. the Pettis', Bendo's, and Diaz's of the UFC. Chandler is well-rounded but does nothing real well.

Alverez would get dropped and finished in the UFC. Chandler would lose decisions in my opinion.

As for Gil, I'm not sure. Everyone wants to jump off he wagon because many feel Thompson won that last fight. I don't think he would beat the champ right now either. But would't mind him getting a shot.

#13 ·
I agree that he is not a finished product, but man you guys are overrating Chandler. He is a very solid fighter but he wouldn't be a top 5 UFC LW let alone champ right now.

His whole career thus far is based off a good performance over Alverez...another highly overrated fighter. Chandler started gassing half way through that fight...that won't fly vs. the Pettis', Bendo's, and Diaz's of the UFC. Chandler is well-rounded but does nothing real well.

Alverez would get dropped and finished in the UFC. Chandler would lose decisions in my opinion.

As for Gil, I'm not sure. Everyone wants to jump off he wagon because many feel Thompson won that last fight. I don't think he would beat the champ right now either. But would't mind him getting a shot.
No he has solid wins over Held, Woodard, Pitbull and Alvarez. Those guys are no push overs. Just because they don't have the 3 magic letters on the gloves doesn't mean they aren't talented.

#15 ·
Just checking Fight Matrix now because they are really the only ones with long rankings.

They have Woodard 48th and Pitbull 56th.

So don't act like I am some guy who thinks anyone outside the UFC isn't good. That is just an annoying arrogance.

Anyone that fights in the UFC, SF, Bellator is skilled. Doesn't mean they are legit top of the food chain fighters.

#17 ·
lol Melendez had trouble with Josh Thomson, Bendo would do whatever he wants to Melendez and then force him to drop to FW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.