MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Fighters you suspect of throwing fights or Fights u think were rigged

View Single Post

Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
John8204
Ultra-weight

John8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJohn8204 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanfighter View Post
What does that mean?
Quote:
On entering UFC 4: In UFC 4 I was basically a last minute fill in. I trained for 5 days, an hour and a half a day in Lima, Ohio with Al Snow. They had a pair of old boxing gloves and the name of the game was punch and kick Dan. Dan doesn’t like to be punched and kicked. So I would put on amateur wrestling moves and make them illegal. Make them scream or squawk and that was my training camp. I never trained how to strike. And I never trained any other kind of submission.

On his debut match which was highlighted by a series of dynamic suplexes and slams: The first match was against Anthony Macias. They had never seen a grown man bodily pick up someone and fling them around like a rag doll the way I did.

On the championship match with Royce Gracie: I took Royce right down. I had him on his back. And I was trying some of the submissions that worked in my long (laughs) training camp, and these weren’t exactly working on him. Then I started to think, well I think I’m gonna have to hit this guy. But I never trained it. The fact is I had to actually think about it whereas any other fighter, you look for an opportunity and you do it. Even when I threw the strikes I did, I threw them peripherally—to the side. The side of his head. I couldn’t smack a guy dead center in the face. These were all just to the side.

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. Well I’m staring right through his soul. I could read exactly what was going through his mind. I mean, he’s there looking over at his dad outside the cage. He was like, “dad I’m hanging in here, but if you were to throw that towel in, I wouldn’t hold it against you.” So when I turned my eyes from Royce’s over at his father Helio. Helio had the towel in his hand. He looked at me; he brought that towel up; he crossed his arms with that towel underneath it, and he just shook his head “no.” And I (thought), “you old bastard, you’d let me kill your kid out here for Gracie jiu jitsu.”

On his “defeat” to another legend: Yeah I lost that night. But did I lose because someone beat me? Or did I lose because I couldn’t do what I had to do? I know what went down. All I know is when the match was over, I stood up and Royce embraced me. He says “you’re the toughest man I’ve ever gone against.” I thanked him, but in my mind I’m thinking, “you haven’t seen anything of what I’m capable of doing.”

Reflecting on UFC 4: When I walked out at UFC 4; oh my god yes, I was just a wrestler. And I showed the world what a true world class wrestler can do.

And once more because this is such an awesome line and a perfect forecast of the rest of this true legend’s career: You haven’t seen anything of what I’m capable of doing.
The guy had all of 10 hours of MMA training and he made it to the finals.

John8204 is offline   Reply With Quote