MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Killing the King: Junior dos Santos

View Single Post

Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
RearNaked
Bantamweight

RearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
The only high level HWs JDS hasn't fought yet are Overeem and Brock. and presumably their timeline would've been the same regardless of Cain's injury - Brock goes through surgery while Overeem is still fighting for Strikeforce, they fight a title eliminator that after which Brock retires and Overeem is suspended.

It's not like the UFC could've wished a different contender into existence. these are the HWs the UFC has, and JDS has gone through all but Overeem like a buzzsaw. It's not like any of those fights were close, even the two decisions were one-sided demolitions.
I don't see what this has to do with anything.

You said, JDS could have had 3 or 4 (which is nonsense, it would have been 2 at most) title defenses since his first fight with Cain. I was just pointing out that he could have just as easily have lost one of those defenses. You can't put him up there with Anderson and GSP yet because those guys have had extended reigns as champ. Junior has exactly ONE title defense under his belt at this point.

Over Frank Mir.

I would rate that about equal to Chuck Liddel's title defense over Vernon White.

The fights Junior had leading up to the title, and the title win over Cain were all very impressive. But, none of that counts towards his pedigree as champion. The interesting part is still to come.

I don't really see anyone at HW that can challenge him right now, but that's more a product of the fact the HW division is pretty weak. Perhaps a slugger like Roy or Hunt could catch him, or a good wrestler like Cain or Cormier could beat him on the ground, but we'll have to wait and see.

But this thread is called 'killing the king' and I just don't see him as that yet. Let him defend a couple of times at least.

Last edited by RearNaked : 12-29-2012 at 02:09 AM.
RearNaked is offline   Reply With Quote