MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Killing the King: Junior dos Santos

View Single Post

Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Sports_Nerd
Featherweight

Sports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludinator View Post
Wow I think Jds may be the most overated fighter in the UFC. Cain will take Jds down tommorow night, and down he will stay. Cain will learn from his mistakes and will take the fight down when and how he chooses too. There is a lot of Cain haters on these forums, I think more people were giving frank mir more of a shot than Cain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearNaked View Post
I don't see what this has to do with anything.

You said, JDS could have had 3 or 4 (which is nonsense, it would have been 2 at most) title defenses since his first fight with Cain. I was just pointing out that he could have just as easily have lost one of those defenses. You can't put him up there with Anderson and GSP yet because those guys have had extended reigns as champ. Junior has exactly ONE title defense under his belt at this point.

Over Frank Mir.

I would rate that about equal to Chuck Liddel's title defense over Vernon White.

The fights Junior had leading up to the title, and the title win over Cain were all very impressive. But, none of that counts towards his pedigree as champion. The interesting part is still to come.

I don't really see anyone at HW that can challenge him right now, but that's more a product of the fact the HW division is pretty weak. Perhaps a slugger like Roy or Hunt could catch him, or a good wrestler like Cain or Cormier could beat him on the ground, but we'll have to wait and see.

But this thread is called 'killing the king' and I just don't see him as that yet. Let him defend a couple of times at least.
If cain hadn't been injured JDS would've challenged early in 2011. Plenty of time for three title defenses.

And who would he have lost those defenses to? With Brock gone and Overeem suspended, the only possible challengers are guys that, in the real timeline, he has already beaten convincingly.

You said he hasn't cleared out the division, but champions who haven't cleared out their divisions don't normally defend against people they've already finished in 64 seconds. The only guy left for him atm is Overeem.
Sports_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote