MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Can Someone Tell me Why Diaz is Getting a Title Shot?
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM
oh look, it's another one of these threads.

Out of all the questionable fights recently (Silva/Bonnar - yes I realize it was to save a card, but it was still an awful matchup, JBJ/Sonnen, etc) this is one you should be least worried about.

Diaz lost a very close 3-2 round fight, for the interim belt. If the judges scored it 3-2 for Diaz it wouldn't have been the worst judging decision ever. Some thought Diaz won it, and he was riding an 11 fight win streak before that. I know I wanted to see this fight before everything went to hell last year, and many other fans did to. Yes, money/PPV sales probably is playing a small part in this, but it's not as if Diaz is some nobody the UFC just picked up off the street.

Hendricks/Kampmann was not for an interim belt, and never billed as a #1 contender fight. Hendricks barely squeaked by Koscheck, somebody who GSP dominated twice.

Hendricks and a lot of his fans assumed that if he won, he was guaranteed a title shot. I don't recall anyone ever stating that.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome