Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

How do you feel about paying for JDS-Cain II? + PPV buy predictions

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  RearNaked 
#1 ·
Considering:
  • They made it a big deal of how the 1st one was on free television
  • Last one ended in 64 seconds
  • Cain hasn't proven himself. Rematches should be built around the previous loser being on a good streak. JDS dominated Mir and Cain beat a man coming off from a 1st round stoppage loss where he didn't really do anything other than take beating

The card isn't cheap either. I know it's not all about the main event but it is supposed to be the money maker. No way i'm bashing the card or anything but it just feels weird paying for the fight considering everything. Maybe i'm just biased towards thinking JDS will just hurt him again.

Also how many buys to you guy's they'll get?

#2 ·
I'm torn on one hand typically as a champion defends his title he tends to get fans and build on a base. On the other hand the card features Miller/Lauzon/Leben/Boetsch/Belcher/Okami who are mostly card openers. The highest I see it is 600,000 the lowest 400,000...I'm going to say 425,000 not that optimistic.

#3 ·
Fans love heavyweights and it's getting good promotion, so it has that. Personally I will buy it but I buy all of them, I am a fan of Junior, I love the Lauzon/Miller fight and I think I speak for everyone on that, there's just no way that fight sucks, I'm interested in Boetsch/Costa and I do like me some Okami, Belcher's whatever but Yushin always gets a thumbs up from me, should be a good fight though. Leben/Brunson is whatever. Picket/Wineland or Caraiso/Moraga should be on the PPV instead.

Probably around 500,000-600,000. I do think the first fight will hurt it some but not too much to cause a massive difference. A 64 second knockout is a 64 second knockout no matter how you slice it, and it clearly wasn't a fluke.

#4 ·
I won't comment on whether I will buy it or not, since I live in Singapore and stream all the cards anyway.

I believe that the buy rate will be somewhere along 600k-700k buys.

Cain and JDS are not huge PPV draws. Considering that the first fight ended so quickly, I'm sure less people are interested in the fight than before. Many believe that JDS will walk through Cain easily. However, it is the end of the year and I think people are willing to spend some money during this time. The last card of the year has always done decent PPV buy rates. Not to mention that the rest of the card is absolutely stellar.

#6 ·
I hate how this card gets a bashing because Cain vs Jds 1 lasted 64 seconds..... So what.

Frank Mir vs Brock lesnar Lasted 90 seconds, yet there rematch Didn't get such a panning. Cain vs Jds may only last 1 minute again or 25 minutes but who cares, it's gonna be awesome.

#11 ·
I don't buy PPVs any more because I don't like the way they hand out title shots these days and I also find them to be overpriced. (Can't say I've ever been a fan of the PPV model, even tho I used to buy a lot of them.) I'll either stream or download a HQ torrent of the event. There's always one available within 15 min of the event ending.

550,000 buys, tops, is my prediction.

#12 ·
To be honest this card just doesn't really get me that excited...

I think the timing is just off. There has been SO many free fights lately so I'm just not DYING to spend $60+ to watch it.

It seems like asides from Anderson Silva, the Brazilian champs just don't have any good rivalries. And that's really what's selling these days. JDS is so goddam nice, and Cain has the personality of a dead rabbits asshole. Technically it's going to be one of the sickest fights you can make, but it doesn't really tug at the ol' heart strings. And the rest of the fights should be exciting but they're kind of 'so what?' fights.

I hope they sell lots of PPV's but I think it'll hit maybe 650,000-750,000 MAX.

#13 ·
I would say this card sells 750k maximum, but realistically I expect around 500k. It just isn't a great card, plain and simple. I would never pay for it because it's a joke to give someone a title shot after one win when they've already been KTFO in a minute by the champ. The rest of the card is solid, but there's just nothing spectacular about this card which will hurt its numbers.

#16 ·
Don't know if brazilian sales counts. This is how it works here:
You can watch all events (including preliminary cards) by signing the Combate channel (54.00 reais/month, 1 real = 0.49 dollar). Buying just one event costs 69 reais. All cards placed in Brazil are aired on free television (TV Globo). Globo can also air 3 overseas events per year with a 30-minute delay.

#15 ·
If I was on a budget and could only afford a few PPV's, or had to choose which ones I wanted to see, this would not be one of the ones I buy.

Fight is going to end too quickly, the rest of the card doesn't hold too much interest for me. I'd pass.

I stream all the fights anyways though, so they are all free for me.

#18 ·
The whole card is really solid but there are no must see fights. Regardless is will do about 450 000 that's it. No 700k here as none of te guys are superstars butyrate wise

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#20 ·
Pickett V Wineland will be FOTN and probably make a lot more people buy the PPV than they would have if they hadn't seen that fight.

Anywhere over 700k buys is a shitty pipe dream. You watch the HL and see Cain getting knocked out, they even cut it to make Cain look completely unconscious even though he got up half a second later.

550k is my prediction.

#22 ·
I may catch the fight at a bar or restaurant but im kinda low on funds for now, i did a lot for my boys this Christmas and will take a while to recover. I like the card but its not a must see for me I guess, probably going to be an awesome card if I pass, I think the PPV buys will be probably right around the 500,000-520,000.. I think...:)

#23 ·
If I wasn't such a big Lauzon fan, I wouldn't be that thrilled with the card as a whole.

JDS/Cain will be good. A lot of solid fight, but not many that get me too excited.

Card was hit with injuries/moved. Maynard, Forrest/Chael, Weidman. And for some odd reason I was really looking forward to Cody's mean face vs. Leonard's technical boxing. Was an awesome card at first. Now it is decent.

#24 ·
Yeah I loved all the fights Johnny mentioned. I'm ALWAYS looking forward to a Cody Mc fight (future world champion people!) and against Leonard, if he could have survived long enough the guillotine would have been there. Weidman Vs Boetsch would have gave us a new Anderson Silva date and Forrest/Chael was awesome since I thought Forrest was taking it. Also favoured J-Lau over Maynard so thats another upset that could have been great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.