Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

All of the ORIGINAL Cain fans, Get the **** in here!

5K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  Voiceless 
#1 ·
Cain train baby!

#5 ·
ClydebankBlitz said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not basing this on ANYTHING lmao. I just have a feeling that his timing will work in this one, and it will only further how overrated his striking is with Joe Rogan multiplying the skill level involved by a bazillion. I just have a feeling that Cain's going to land big, and if anyone looks stunned for a second, it'll be JDS. Cain will then switch to wrestling mode and work on the ground. Kind of like Sonnen Vs Silva one, where there was no chance Sonnen was working on the feet and he'd rush the TD but instead he actually got the best of every exchange standing up and worked that into his TD.
^Pretty sure this makes me a psycic!

#9 ·
Been a Cain fan since his first couple fights in the UFC. I knew Cain would implement wrestling into his gameplan and test JDS' ground game (which has never been tested prior to this fight) and knew that would be the deciding factor in the rematch.

But, it irritated me that Cain has still not used any type of BJJ once he got JDS down. This can be said in all his previous fights (most notably the Kongo fight) where if he taken back control and sunk in the hooks and worked for a rear naked choke, he would have most certainly won by submission. The rear naked choke has presented itself in almost all his fights but Cain never took advantage of it. I think if Cain used more BJJ in his ground game he would be submitting fools left and right.

#10 ·
Never lost my faith in Cain. I chalked the first loss up to a perfect (perhaps lucky) shot, and anyone can suffer that fate at some point. Cains grappling is just tooooo strong.

#14 ·
He destroyed the second best HW in the world and I felt he could've done a lot of things better and could still hope to improve...but he's 30 years old already and I'm not sure how much he's really going to get to add to the repertoire.

I'd really like to see some better positional grappling from Cain rather than just making everything a scramblefest.

#24 ·
Personally I thought that after the first 2 mins of this fight it looked like JDS had this easily in the bag. Valasquez was looking very very desperate in his takedowns and the first 4/5 of them were easily shrugged off and had valasquez sprawled on the floor.

At that point I was pretty confident that my boy JDS had it. Sadly due to the constant takedown attempts JDS lowered his hands every time Cain came in and that's when Cain landed that massive shot that was the beginning of the end.

I don't like Cain, but I definitely give him credit for that tactic. I believe he threw takedown after takedown on purpose to allow himself to throw the big overhand right.

Either way a decent fight, I kind of expected more from JDS though.

#27 ·
I don't like Cain, but I definitely give him credit for that tactic. I believe he threw takedown after takedown on purpose to allow himself to throw the big overhand right.
That's exactly what it was. He got JDS worried about the takedown and sucked him into defending it and playing his game. Cain put the fear of wrestling into him so that JDS never had time to setup his striking game, he took the initiative from the very start and put the pedal to the metal so that JDS was playing catchup for the rest of the fight.

I'd say the most brilliant part of the fight was the way Cain kept crowding in on JDS to take away his space and trap him on the fence and either clinch him for a takedown or dirty box the crap out of him. Usually both. Besides wearing out JDS with the clinchwork on the fence and getting some good punches in, it also prevents JDS from putting any power on his punches since his feet are level and flat against the fence. All you can do from there is arm punch, and that's not going to hurt Cain. It's the same way Randy Couture sucked the life out of many of his opponents.

What JDS should've done but didn't was make Cain pay for those takedown attempts after stuffing the first couple tries. Time him with a good knee to the head every time he shoots in, try and get him with some uppercuts, and once Cain eats enough knees to the head he'll start thinking twice about takedown attempts. From there, JDS can start imposing his striking game, open up the distance and force Cain to play catchup. There were also several times when JDS had a full clinch locked around Cain's neck, and every time he ended up letting it go instead of blasting some knees into the body & head. Missed opportunities.

It was a great fight by Cain, he made the adjustments that needed to be made and beat the hell out of JDS. Now JDS gets to go back to the drawing board and figure out what he needs to do. If he makes the right adjustments, it'll be the best HW fight ever when they meet again.

#25 ·
*Peers in through window from outside the Club of Cain*

Was not an original Cain fan but am continually impressed by his resilience.

Yes, he spammed takedowns without really caring about finishing them. He knew he had the cardio and pace to make JDS slow and unresponsive (and drop his hands).

Cain used a welterweight pace for a heavyweight fight.

#28 ·
Anyone calling the KO from the first fight 'lucky' is an absolute troll. Lucky would be a guy who has never KO'd someone; KOing a guy who has never been rocked.

The quick KO is every bit of JDS' style as a grinding, high paced fight is Cains. Which style you are personally more impressed with is really illrelevent. Its 1-1 now with both fighters earning convincing wins.

#32 ·
^I agree that JDS wasn't lucky to KO Cain. Knocking people out is what JDS does. He looks for the shot and has the power to do it. So he threw, hit Cain, and that power put him away. It was that simple to me. In the second JDS looked very slow to get into it and Cain was using his jab well and following it up. I think Cain was on the track to being KOed again cause he was diving into those right hands and so open to a big counter. I think if anything, that fact that one landed as massive as it was for Cain was luckier than JDS putting him away.

#34 ·
JDS wasn't lucky in the first fight, Cain allowed him to plant his feet and throw KO shots, Cain made the adjustments for the second fight to always keep Junior on the back foot and not allow him to get any proper power behind his punches.

Cain's gameplan was perfect, I got love for Crazy Bob Cook!

#35 ·
JDS wasn't lucky in the first fight, Cain allowed him to plant his feet and throw KO shots, Cain made the adjustments for the second fight to always keep Junior on the back foot and not allow him to get any proper power behind his punches.

Cain's gameplan was perfect, I got love for Crazy Bob Cook!
You know who gave em that nickname; Frank Shamrock.

The fight that happened last night was what I was afraid of the first time around. Wonder what kind of adjustment JDS will make in the third rodeo.

#38 ·
An elite, deadly striker with a ridiculous clinch game and strong wrestling is a night mare match up for Cain. In comes Alistair Overeem, where Cain won't really be safe in any area the fight takes place in.

He's not safe at distance where The Reem can time him with strikes, he's not really safe rushing in and charging Overeem because he could get easily timed and KO'd by a precise strke from the K-1 champ, and he certainly isn't safe up against the cage trying to clinch take down Alistair, he could eat some nasty uber knees from there.

Very interesting fight, I still think Cain takes it. If he can use his relentless pressure without being timed perfectly by Overeem, then he will likely wilt Overeem early on, break him mentally and also destroy his cardio.

#42 ·
Thing is if Overeem is winning I can't see it going past two or three rounds. Overeem winning means he's landing his shots which we all know are all KO material. Cain winning can mean a five round beating. Cain held his own against Brock which surprised me. He also held JDS who's pretty damn strong himself at bay. But none of em have the arsenal Overeem has. I really think Overeem will land a bomb somewhere in there knocking out Cain cleanly. The way Overeem fights is interesting. He's this hulking dude who stays low to the ground and has good body movement for his size.
JDS is supposedly a kick boxer, but employs 99% punches. Overeem has a wicked left hook, right bomb, inside leg kicks, roundhouse kicks, super strong upper body to repel takedowns + control clinch, and of course my favorite his fake right then left KNEE to the liver. Doesn't throw much combos, but he's got sick striking. Against Cain you won't have time to throw combos anyways. It's gotta be a counter when he goes for the shoot.

Can't wait.

Cain would KO Overeem with the overhand he landed on Junior. Overeem has good defense but his chin is made of Cabbage (not Coreira, that is actually some hard Cabbage)
I enjoyed that pun. Overeem has his hands up usually to proect himself as he knows he doesn't have the strongest chin. But he's been knocked out before so he's not afraid to engage. I think Overeem could pull it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.