MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - mexican vs brazillian

View Single Post

Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Soakked
Welterweight

Soakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
There are over 20 countries that compromise over 12% of the world that speak spanish. Even if his neighborhood is mainly Mexican American its still a neighborhood in the US. If he claimed that his Hispanic roots were important to him I could see it. He could not represent Mexico at the Olympics, he has never lived in Mexico. He is Hispanic but that does not make him Mexican. If we called all Hispanic people Mexican it would not be politically correct. I guess it is just a cultural thing with the US but IMO its offensive to both countries involved when somebody plays it up like that.
Ok I can respect that, and you are right about the Olympics part. No he is not technically Mexican, but he acknowledges his roots there. But I can see why some people would take offense to him not acknowledging his American roots as well. He pays taxes, has gone through the schooling system, and has breathed predominately American air most of his life. That's why if it were me I would rock both flags.

But ultimately he's his own man and chooses his own path and I don't fault him for that.
"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore." - Tyrion Lannister

Last edited by Soakked : 12-30-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Soakked is offline   Reply With Quote