Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

mexican vs brazillian

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  GrappleRetarded 
#1 ·
after just watching the best (imoa) heavyweight fight ever, a thought occured to me? mexican, brazillian. ufc genius or what? there is no doubt having been a boxing fan for most of my life and then an mma fan since its inception, that certain countries produce certain types of fighters? care to discuss? lets start with...english-tough/brave/determined, but a little to used to the goood life...

#2 ·
Every country has its traditions. It just so happens that there's amateur wrestling in the US so fighters from the US tend to have a strong wrestling base. There's vale tudo and BJJ in brazil, there's kickboxing in central Europe, there's boxing in the UK, there's greco in Eastern Europe, ***** in Russia yada-yada-yada.

#3 ·
Except for the fact that Cain is American despite all the hooplah. He was born in the US and raised in the US. Geez my wife grew up speaking French and she is just as Mexican as Cain.

#4 ·
Best HW fight was Kongo-Barry.
even the Kongo-Cain fight was better than this one.
JDS-Carwin was also better, plenty of HW were better than JDS-Cain 2.
I apologize if this was only the 2nd HW fight that you ever saw.

#14 ·
That is more a race sense though is it not? That is the thing Cain isn't representing hispanics he is representing a specific Hispanic country that he has no direct personal link to. He isn't carrying around a symbol of hispanic pride he is carrying around a flag of a specific country.

#15 ·
He does have a link to it. Chances are the neighborhood he lives in has a large Mexican-American community. It's also possible that that areas main language is spanish (mexican tongue). Add to the fact that his father is from Mexico, doesn't speak English and his mother is Mexican-American and I can't see how you don't think he doesn't have a link to the country.

I live in NYC which is a melting pot of all nationalities, races, and religion. There are places you can go to and not hear a word of English. Just a few examples - bensonherst yiddish, Washington Heights spanish, Chinatown and Flushing Chinese, Jackson Heights Spanish and Indian (Hindi?), Brighton Beach - Russian. The usual trend is for 2nd generations children to either embrace their roots (such as Cain) or disregard them altogether (fast track assimulation).

I've heard in Canada (I'm a bit ignorant on your country tbh so correct me if I'm wrong) that English speaking Canadians in Toronto do not like French speakers from Quebec. And I am sure there is some history behind it.

#17 ·
There are over 20 countries that compromise over 12% of the world that speak spanish. Even if his neighborhood is mainly mexican American its still a neighborhood in the US. If he claimed that his Hispanic roots were important to him I could see it. He could not represent Mexico at the Olympics, he has never lived in Mexico. He is Hispanic but that does not make him Mexican. If we called all Hispanic people Mexican it would not be politically correct. I guess it is just a cultural thing with the US but IMO its offensive to both countries involved when somebody plays it up like that.

#19 ·
Toxic you have to try and see it from Cain's and his families perspective.

Imagine this scenario, the young and single Toxic gets a great job offer, you have to move to London (England, not Ontario), you go all carpe diem and take the job, whilst there you meet an English girl get married and have a son.. your son is not Canadian?

#29 ·
Latinos represent pretty much all races. I'm Latino but look Italian or Jewish, so I guess I'm on the lighter spectrum. The only real thing that ties them together is language, and even then there are different tongues and dialects.

#30 ·
Cains very own father, his own flesh and blood is a Mexican man who doesn't even speak English. His Mother is a Mexican-American. Cain has every god damn right to label himself as a Mexican fighter and be proud of his roots. He has Mexican blood running through his veins. Stop saying Cain has no link to Mexico what so ever, because that is an absolute load of nonsense.

I'm English, doesn't matter what god damn country I move to and live in and have a child born there, that child will be English too. Simple as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.