MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Where was JDS jiu jitsu??

View Single Post

Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
Aiken
Amateur

Aiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of lightAiken is a glorious beacon of light
I've watched the fight a couple of times now, and was suddenly stuck suprised to realize how similar JDS's style is to Chuck Liddel - low hands, confidence in striking, heavy strikes, lots of stoppages, good TTD but ultimately flawed.

Junior will still be a force in the HW division and will always have a punchers chance, but he will never rule his division like Silva or GSP.

I read a lot about how good Junior's boxing is going into this fight... But after Saturday I must say that I don't agree. Yes, he's got excellent striking and he punches like a mule kicks (but then most HW do) but his "boxing" is horrible. Not even Ray Leonard and Ali held their hand as low and inviting as JDS. He was unable to slip punches (a boxing staple) and crumbled under pressure from the first moment of the first round. His corner were telling him to keep his hands up from the end of the first round - but when you spend all your training carrying your fists under your nipples (yep I said nipples!) it's tough to change what made you champion when it stops working for you.

One dimensional fighters have had their day - The Brock's and JDS's of this world need to realize that they need more than just one arrow in their quiver
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote