Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Daniel Cormier might get next shot at Jon Jones' title despite no wins at 205 and UFC

4K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  RangerClydeTheBlue 
#1 ·
My Christmas wish might come into fruition! :thumbsup:

Chael Sonnen is somehow the #1 contender at light heavyweight, Machida and Henderson were fighting to be #1 contender until Gustafsson beat Rua to earn the honor. But now Dana White says Daniel Cormier might somehow be next for Jon Jones.

The UFC has been quickly moving away from any sort of sensible, easy-to-follow methodology and instead has moved into "whoever Dana White and Co. like today. In no division is this on display quite like light heavyweight.

Dan Henderson was the number one contender, set to fight Jon Jones only to injure his knee and have to pull out of the bout. Now it's Chael Sonnen who will be coaching The Ultimate Fighter against Jones and fighting him for the title in a weight class he hasn't fought in for several years after losing two shots at the middleweight title. Sonnen got the fight because he's the only guy that wanted it -- when it was offered on three days notice, not when it came with a long, full training camp.

Henderson was scheduled for a fight against Lyoto Machida in what was supposed to be a number one contender fight but then the UFC declared that Alexander Gustafsson against Shogun Rua was the actual number one contender fight. After Gustafsson won that bout it became a situation where now Gustafsson might fight Machida if Henderson can't because of the knee injury.

But NOW Dana is throwing out a new name as a potential number one contender:

"[Cormier] is going to bring a lot of excitement to the heavyweight or light heavyweight division," White said following Saturday night's UFC 155 event in Las Vegas. "And he could be next in line to fight (Jon) Jones."

Cormier is a great fighter and the prospect of him fighting Jones is appealing on paper, my objection has absolutely nothing to do with DC's skills. But we've never seen the guy fight at light heavyweight. We don't know anything about how his body would handle cutting the extra weight, something that is more of a factor with Daniel than most fighters considering his incident at the 2008 Olympics where his weight cut led to kidney failure.

But more than just "does Cormier deserve the fight?" is the issue of the UFC effectively ruining their ability to promote number one contender fights.

Why should anyone care when a fight is billed as a number one contender fight? The UFC has used it as a selling point for fights on Fox shows, Gustafsson vs. Rua being a solid example of that. While I understand the idea of Gustafsson not wanting to sit on the shelf until whenever Jones is ready after he humiliates Sonnen, the plan is to get eyes that don't normally watch your product on the Fox shows and hook them.

Gustafsson was impressive against Rua, but anyone who thought "oh man, I might have to actually buy a PPV to see him fight for the title" might now not get that fight. And it's happening over and over these days as the UFC loses its identity.

It's a problem that needs addressing, but I doubt gets it.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9h08?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

See less See more
#3 ·
All Dana said was "And he could be next in line to fight (Jon) Jones." That's not really a definitive statement so let's chill out before jumping to conclusions.
IF Cormier does get an instant title shot, then that will simply be another straw in a recent streak of pathetic moves by Dana White which have damaged the UFC's reputation. The UFC is going downhill, and is quickly going down the same path as boxing.

#4 ·
Everybody has been talking about it. I think they'll place em against someone like Thiago Silva, Rashad maybe even, or Shogun. If he wins which he should then he gets the shot. Right now the LHW division has new rising contenders.

1.) Chael
2.) Gustaf
3.) Hendo or Lyoto
4.) Cormier
5.) Glover

Even if they stuck Cormier in there as an injury replacement for the fighters above em I don't think anybody would complain. He is the SF champ and he beat two very legitimate HW fighters.

Bring it on!

#5 ·
Jones/Sonnen really sucks.

I wanna see Jones fight Hendo, Gus, Glover, and Cormier but he said he plans on being at Heavyweight in 2014. Not to mention, Lyoto got promised a title shot.

#7 · (Edited)
Chael's getting the crack at the belt for good reason. He's marketable and he said yes and always says yes. But after that is over, I predict right now that if Hendo can eith A. finish Machida, or B. fight Machida like he did Shogun for 3 rounds, Dan will get the next shot @ 205. A win over Machida w/o a doubt, at least IMO, puts Dan as the true number 1 contender. And oh God do I want that fight to happen so bad by the end of 2013. I know it sounds crazy, but Dan is the most dangerous opponent for Jon Jones right now.

That all being said, I do get the point was how Dana kinda jumps over guys as far as title shots go. Do I mind that? Not really, honestly, unless its one of my guys getting skipped over. Kinda keeps things exciting.

As for Cormier, I think guys coming from SF holding a belt should fight the champ in their weightclass to make the winner "Undisputed" champion, ya know? Kinda like they did with Hendo. Hendo today woulda killed Rampage. But Cormier's a real legitimate threat. 1 win in the UFC @ any weight class and I wont bitch a title shot in any weight class.

#9 ·
Not going to get upset over DC getting the shot. I don't remember a big uproar with Nick getting an immediate shot when he came over from SF. It was at least in his weight class, but still I would like to see DC fight a top 10 guy first. Although it worked out that Nick had to fight before his title shot, albeit interim, that was not the original plan.

#14 ·
The belts don't really matter any more.

When you look at a guy like Anderson or GSP's record as champion, you see that a lot of the guys who got shots didn't really deserve them, and a lot of guy were in those divisions at the time who deserved shots and didn't get them.

It's all meaningless at this point.

#15 ·
Cormier is 33-34 he's not getting younger, he's been stuck in strikeforce with cards and events getting cancelled. I say give the guy a break and give him jones. Cormier is a machine and will give jones more of a fight than anyone on the UFC roster at this time.

#18 ·
And I like it that way, this is the fight business and fights that happen that way are a good thing and it always keeps you guessing for what's gonna happen next with the matchups. Combat sports needs that craziness unlike in team sports the top seeded team has to face the 2nd best team in the superbowl where it could still be a blowout.

Shields and fitch both were on big streaks and they got number contendership and they both got crushed, but condit only had a few wins in a row and a controversial one over diaz and he did way better than both of them.

#24 ·
Could just turn out schedule wise that he is ready, lets be real Gutaf is supposedly getting it, Machida/Hendo is supposedly getting it, Sonnen is doing the TUF and now Cormier. Truth is with injuries and what not who ever is ready to go when Jones is will be fighting him.

#25 ·
I have nothing against Cormier but this has gone beyond silliness. Does Dana have no concept of weight classes or climbing the ladder to a title shot anymore?

#26 ·
Dana needs to stop promising everyone and their brother a title shot.

If Glover does to Rampage what I think he'll do to him he'll probably say Glover's next or something like that.

#33 ·
Not exactly sure where you get that at, Sonnen was just stopped by a middleweight, Cormier is a top five undefeated Heavyweight.

#36 ·
Problem with part of it to is there are no contenders people are excited about anymore. Henderson is an old man, machida already lost, Gus isn't ready. The sf hw gp winner and former Olympian cutting down to face the champ is more marketable till somebody can establish themselves as a real threat

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#37 ·
I agree, of all the fights you mentioned DC is the one I would be most excited to see. I get people complaining about the Chael fight, that is just wrong, but DC is a undefeated Stikeforce champion after all.

Disclaimer: I would prefer they give him a contender fight, but I don't see it as a big issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.