MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Jon Fitch on Nick Diaz & GSP and matchup with Demian Maia.

View Single Post

Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stapler
Super Heavyweight

Stapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By All
I think it's a little early for Maia considering he's fought for under 5 minutes in the UFC welterweight division overall. If his conditioning looks good though, I can see him beating Fitch. Fitch doesn't have outstanding take down defense and Maia has pretty underrated take downs. He also seems to be really strong at this weight class so Fitch may have his work cut out for him if Maia puts him on his back. Penn nearly caught Fitch, and Maia is on Penn's level of BJJ (Maia has better BJJ in my opinion), except he's bigger and stronger than Penn so that could help him sink in something against Fitch. I know I'm using MMA math there, but the guy with the best BJJ that Fitch has fought was a 155er with weak conditioning and is known for choking at 170, and that guy came close to catching him in a choke and was doing very well up until the later rounds where he is well known for slowing down a lot at this weight class, and he still managed to take Fitch to a draw.

We'll see though, I'm picking Maia at the moment. It should be a good fight.

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia

Last edited by Stapler : 01-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote