MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Eddie Alvarez compares UFC and Bellator contracts to 'fine dining' vs. McDonald's

View Single Post

Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
demoman993
Featherweight

demoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level now
I really feel bad for the guy. He just wants to fight and he has every right to try and maximize his earnings while he participates in a high level sport with very little forgiveness and a short life span (career wise). If he was offered, by the UFC, a 250k signing bonus, 75k to show 75k win bonus and a PPV cut then it will likely get ugly. Bellator probably matched the first 3 points, 250k signing, 75k show, 75k win and then probably said they would match the same PPV percentage. Unfortunately the PPV percentage isn't going to be an apples to apples comparison.

I pulled some random numbers off of SB Nation to compare numbers as far as live TV goes. I don't know how it translates to PPV but will work for comparison sakes.

The live prelims for UFC 154 on Saturday night and headlined by the Patrick Cote vs. Alessio Sakara fight, did 980,000 viewers on FX. That is the normal level the prelims to pay-per-view events have been doing since the 1.8 million number pulled by the UFC 148 prelims

Bellator is averaging 166,000 viewers this season with three live events remaining on MTV 2 before the January move to Spike

So using those numbers alone we can use them to compare if the contracts are lopsided. To make it easy lets say Eddie would make 1% cut of the PPV and $55.00 per buy for both companies. Keep in mind the 250k signing bonus is already paid by both sides and that I'm using average LIVE viewers and its prelims for UFC and main card for Bellator.

UFC - 980k buys - $539000

Bellator - 166k buys - $91300

That's a difference of $447700 per fight using these numbers, multiply that by the length of the contract and the potential difference in fight bonus money too (FOTN, SUB, KO).

If this is a semi-accurate comparison I would have to say that Bellator was trying to pull a fast one on Eddie but I guess we'll see what the courts say.

Not sure if this link works but here's where I got the info.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/2...shows-mma-news

Last edited by demoman993 : 01-08-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Making it more readable.
demoman993 is offline   Reply With Quote