MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Eddie Alvarez compares UFC and Bellator contracts to 'fine dining' vs. McDonald's

View Single Post

Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding

LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyou666 View Post
For starters, how is it even legal for Bellator to have a clause that says you have to take their contract if they feel like it matches a rivals offer? I understand the clause where they have time to match an offer. But..., how can they tell a fighter that they have to take their offer? I don't see what they're filing suit over. They made a competing offer, which they had 90 days to make, they made it. Why can't Alvarez just wait out the rest of the 90 days and sign with the UFC? I just don't understand the legality in their bitching.

There is no way that Bellator can decide what a fighter does after their employment contract has expired. It's not legally possible to have a clause that says, "You have to take our offer." Once the terms of a contract are met, that contract is over and done with. They made their offer, they can't force the fighter to sign it. Bellator is just sad that they won't be around in 2 years.
Matching rights, if Alvarez agreed to that and he did, then they have every right to match the UFC's offer, which they claim they did but he claims they didn't.

9/27/14
LL is offline   Reply With Quote