MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Nick Diaz reveals thoughts on UFC and gameplan for GSP.

View Single Post

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Toxic

Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Toxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is Untouchable
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
That's Nick's point I think, he's not going to be able to control where the fight takes place so he's making sure he's 100% ready for the positions that he will be placed in.

What makes GSP so good on the mat that he can just run through Nick? He didn't want to go to ground with Shields and Jake doesn't have a guard like Nick's.
He took the path of least resistance with Jake, he wasn't worried about Jake's guard but if he was to get swept its a bad position to be in as Shields has a good top game. Nick does have a better guard but I would say he is nowhere near as much of a threat on top. Secondly both Jake and Condit are substantially stronger than Diaz. Strength is gonna have a lot to do with it. Diaz's "good guard" is gonna be his downfall, he uses space and is willing to get hit in order to try and set things up but the problem is he is facing a truly elite fighter and at that level the guard is dead.Giving up that space is only gonna allow GSP to do damage, it may have worked against the lower tier guys Diaz has been fighting but it isn't gonna happen here.
Quote:
Nick's standup is arguably better than GSPs, cardio is probably even.
I think people will be surprised at for how good Diaz's cardio has looked this won't be his kind of fight and its gonna take a lot out of him. A) it will be a grappling match and B) he will be carrying the weight.
Quote:
Georges didn't want to go to ground with Shields, went to ground with Condit and got swept, he'll either not mess around in Nick's guard and use the Condit strategy or he'll have an incredibly tough fight.

I do think Georges will win but not with any degree of ease.
Both Jake and Condit are substantially stronger than Diaz. Strength is gonna have a lot to do with it. Diaz's "good guard" is gonna be his downfall, he uses space and is willing to get hit in order to try and set things up but the problem is he is facing a truly elite fighter and at that level the guard is dead.Giving up that space is only gonna allow GSP to do damage, it may have worked against the lower tier guys Diaz has been fighting but it isn't gonna happen here. Condit was able to sweep but look at the damage he took on bottom by giving up space and think about how Nick will only give up more and I think with less success due to not being physically strong enough.

I honestly see this fight being less competitive than GSP/Penn 2.

"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page

Toxic is online now   Reply With Quote