Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Which SF fighter will be the 1st to win UFC Gold?

• Gilbert Melendez

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Nick Diaz

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Daniel Cormier

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Luke Rockhold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacare Souza

• Gegard Mousasi

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Feijao Cvalcante

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Josh Barnett

• other(specify)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • no SF fighter will ever win UFC gold

Votes: 10 19.2%

Which SF will be the 1st to get UFC gold?

2K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  OU 
#1 ·
Since my last poll was so successful and there hasn't been much news in MMA today. I figured why not?

Which SF fighter will be the 1st to get UFC Gold? I won't include Marquardt or Hendo as SF fighters.

#4 ·
I'll go with Gilbert, he's always been the best Lightweight in Cesar's gym and Ben shouldn't have won either of those Edgar fights. Gil will drop him and smash him with GNP.

Jacare will probably win the Middleweight title if Anderson loses/retires/moves up

#11 ·
Cormier has a damn fine chance at 205 if he can get down there, and a helluva chance at HW if/when Cain loses the title (as they won't fight each other, sigh)

Melendez I can see beating Henderson, but losing to a few others at 155 so it depends on who is the champ at the time, but I can definitely see him wearing the belt for a time.

#13 ·
Probably. I think he could grind him out and win a decision. If Guida can do it...

Actually the more I think about Melendez vs Bendo I start to retract my previous statement lol.

#16 ·
I think Eddie has the potential to be top 5 in the UFC division, but he gets rocked and dropped so often I can't see how he'll stand up to the bigger punchers. He's so well rounded but gets cracked all the damn time, and he's not exactly a big 155er. I'd like to see him at 145 tbh.

155 is so stacked I really find it hard to say who's going to beat who or who's going to be the champ/number one contender. I could happily make a top 5 out of the top 10 :D

If Chandler can come over from Bellator as well when his contract is up...crazy times.

#19 ·
Is Chandler facing Hawn next? Fun fight, I think Chandler will beat him pretty decisively though.

Atm I think Henderson/Edgar and Maynard will beat them all. The first time around at least. Each of them will give the top 10 fighters like Guida, Miller, Cerrone, Pettis a run for their money. I dunno. Like I said it's hard to say (for me at least). 155 is too talent stacked to make any 'for sure' calls imo.

What do you think?

#21 ·
My expectations is Hawn vs Chandler will be even better then Chandler vs Alvarez. Yeah, my expectations are that high. I love both men as fighters. Hawn has KO power in both hands and exceptional TDD with is Judo background. Chandler is a monster and won't go down easy to ANYONE and I mean ANYONE in the world at LW.
I personally think both men stand a terrific chance vs Maynard. Hawns only loss came at WW and it was a very close fight. At LW he is a scary, scary dude. Man I wish I could see if I'm correct about these guys. I'm pretty confident in them.

#26 ·
I don't think any of those fighters will ever be a UFC champ...so that's what I voted! Cormier probably has the best chance but ill wait and see if he can even cut to 205 before I put any faith in him.

I guess I could have also voted other, because I think if anyone from SF is gonna be champ it will be Overeem.

#32 ·
Cormier has a chance at HW and...maybe at LHW, although I like his chances at HW better. Overeem could also win it at HW and he's from SF. Josh Barnett is another HW from SF with good potential. Other than that, SF's other divisions were pretty weak. Nick Diaz and Dan Henderson are about it when it comes to star power coming from SF, but their chances of taking gold are slim. SF only had great HW's, I'd say SF had a much better HW division than the UFC.

#34 ·
Couple of things...what about Tate, or Cyborg in the WMMA, or Rousey division as DW calls it, division? Guida has dropped down to 145 lbs so any talk of him at 155 doesn't matter.

Now as for the OP I think Gil has the best shot. Barnett is not a solid go for the UFC DW hates his guts.

#35 ·
Couple of things...what about Tate, or Cyborg in the WMMA, or Rousey division as DW calls it, division? Guida has dropped down to 145 lbs so any talk of him at 155 doesn't matter.

Now as for the OP I think Gil has the best shot. Barnett is not a solid go for the UFC DW hates his guts.
I didn't include women fighters because there were no women UFC fighters before the buyout for the SF women to come in and take the belt from. The belt came over with the SF division. It's a unique situation. The question is really asking if anyone thinks a SF fighter is able to come in and take the belt from a UFC Champion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.