Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Eddie Alvarez' UFC deal includes immediate title shot.

4K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  Toxic 
#1 ·
If Eddie Alvarez frees himself from Bellator, he stands not only to become an immediate UFC lightweight title challenger but also to profit handsomely from pay-per-view sales.

But if he stays with Bellator, the 28-year-old fighter won't be in the poorhouse, either.

A UFC contract outlines the company's intent to book Alvarez an immediate title shot in March and offers a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the 28-year-old fighter, a copy of which today was obtained by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An eight-fight deal starts Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez is also guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC pay-per-view broadcast, the offer entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.

The exhibit confirms a previous claim from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that his promotion merely changed window dressings on the UFC's offer. Mentions of UFC parent company Zuffa are simply crossed out and replaced with Bellator.

It also shows Bellator offered three additional bonuses to Alvarez when Bellator decided to match the UFC's offer. Included was a $25,000 payout for participating in a behind-the-scenes show filmed by Bellator broadcast partner Spike TV, a $100,000 payout for a head coach position on the second season of Bellator's reality show, and a guest host spot on Spike TV's "Road to the Championship" program.

And Alvarez stood to receive a $250,000 signing bonus upon re-upping with Bellator.

The deals are the same – on paper. But Bellator and Alvarez disagree on their value, and they've taken their cases to the court of public opinion.

Before they did that, though, they sued each other.

Check back with MMAjunkie.com tomorrow for a detailed breakdown of the lawsuits and a timeline of the dispute.

For more on the UFC and Bellator's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...ncludes-immediate-title-shot-pay-per-view-cut

Reactions: SmackyBear
#47 ·
I think he is a bit overrated so hardly deserves an immediate title shot but I'd love to see it anyway just to shut up the fanboys

#49 ·
Eddies fights are always entertaing, fast paced and violent... I can see a good handfull of FOTN bonuses coming his way..

#53 ·
Yes, indeed. He usually gets rocked once or twice and returns the favor. Plus he was hilarious in Bully Beatdown. He put a whoopin' on the fat bully.

Reactions: El Bresko
#52 ·
I know these figures involve 'big if's'

But lets assume Eddie fights on a massive card that pulls 1,000,000 buyers.

70,000 to show
210,000 to win (assuming he has accumulated this figure)
200,000 (for 200 - 400,00. buys at $1 pb)
400,000 (for 400 - 600,000 buys at $2 pb)
1,000,000 (for 600,000 - 1,000,000 buys at $2.50 pb)
65,000 (assuming he gets fight of the night, based on last cards payouts)
65,000 (assuming he gets KO or Sub of the night, based on last cards payouts)
--------------------------------
2,010,000 (total earnings)

I know that figure is based on a lot of 'what if's' but it just shows the potential earning power of being in the UFC.

Bellator, ain't matching that. Not a chance.

#54 ·
I dont think this guy is that good... I see him ranked around number 10 in the division

#55 ·
I don't understand why is anyone getting sued? UFC makes Eddie an offer. Bellator attempts to match it. Eddie doesn't like it. Bellator Sues Eddie? WTF why? Not allowed to say no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.