MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Anyone a fan of Cro Cop?

View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
No_Mercy
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!

No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Charm View Post
I highly doubt that, the rules were very different in PRICE vs UFC plus ring vs. octagon.

If PRIDE was around and UFC folded, I would be willing to bet guys used to the octagon would have very dismal showings when they transitioned over to the ring (+ head stomps and soccer kicks).

Not saying there wasn't PED abuse in Japan, there clearly was (but I highly doubt with these 2 legends).
I've always thought about that. What if...

The only few examples I can think of were Chuck vs Overeem vs Rampage. Jens Pulver then Vitor...but the transition from Pride fighters to the UFC was less than stellar except for Anderson Silva. At least Shogun and Big Nog did win their titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
It's got nothing to do with the rules, which is a valid point.

Both those guys looked pounds lighter in Pride. Their overall body movement was far more dynamic. Both these guys came to the UFC, and have since looked like they are fighting in slow motion compared to their Pride days. Is that not how you see it? Maybe I need to go back and watch some old videos. My memory might be somewhat hazy.
Yah they seemed a step slower...actually a lot slower. I think the ring is a lot smaller so you're forced to engage. Then you had the yellow cards which further induced more striking matches. Foot stomps and kicks was the exclamation point. A lot of fighters use that tactic to stall. Knees and kicks to the head should be allowed come to think of it.
Otherwise those sneaky grapplers will always lay on their backs to exploit that; Thales Leites, Werdum, etc.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote