Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Tim Kennedy wants to fight Chris Leben

4K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  OU 
#1 ·
Tim Kennedy vs. Chris Leben? Strikeforce import predicts 'great fight' against the 'Crippler'

Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports

Tim Kennedy looks to make Joe Silva's job even easier. Can the Strikeforce import hang with the hard-hitting "Crippler?"

Guess who's a big Chris Leben fan? Yup, it's Strikeforce import Tim Kennedy.

The longtime mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran and active duty Green Beret was recently one of several Strikeforce fighters added to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) roster (see the entire list here) following the former's dissolution last weekend in Oklahoma City.

Now it's time to get to work.

Conveniently, Leben just so happens to be looking for someone to fight, recently asking his Twitter followers for suggestions on his next opponent. Not surprisingly, Kennedy's name was at the forefront and the Greg Jackson disciple was quick to respond.

Tim Kennedy
@TimKennedyMMA
"@cropduster85: "@cripplerufc: Chris Leben vs @TimKennedyMMA" I am a big Chris Leben fan, and he and I would put on a great fight.

Kennedy (15-4) rebounded from a unanimous decision loss to former division titleholder Luke Rockhold (who called out this UFC middleweight) by strangling Trevor Smith at the final Strikeforce event last Saturday night (Jan. 12, 2013) in "The Sooner State." He has 13 finishes in 15 wins including eight submissions.

Not too shabby.

Leben (22-9) came off a lengthy suspension only to drop his second straight fight when Derek Brunson beat him on points at the UFC 155: "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez 2" pay-per-view (PPV) event last month is Las Vegas. "The Crippler" is just 1-3 since 2010, but ends over half his fights by way of knockout or technical knockout.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/17/1687362/tim-kennedy-vs-chris-leben-strikeforce-ufc-twitter-mma

#45 ·
Jacare just tore through Herman, whose mid-tier in the UFC but I don't know if he'll fight Anderson for the title. I guess he could fight Vitor if he wins.

#48 ·
Belcher? His TDD just looked very bad against Okami, granted that against Okami whose top five but Kennedy might be able to wrestle**** him.

#54 ·
Leben's performance in general was worse, but Belcher is still higher ranked than Leben, so it makes more sense to go after Belcher than Leben.

#58 ·
Its weak to be coming off a win and then to call out a guy who is not only coming off a ridiculously easy loss but is also dealing with ring rust and drug addiction. Belcher lost his last fight, he should be the one fighting Kennedy to see if Kennedy is legit. Beating Leben proves nothing when Derek Brunson can dominate him on short notice.

Surely Kennedy thinks he's better than "mid tier"

#59 ·
I just don't think it's a big issue at all. He called out a guy that is of similar rank that is much more well known to the casuals then he is. Leben is about the same age, about the same size and is similar in rank. Why is it offensive to call him out? Hell Leben is more popular then Belcher anyways. We all know a large percentage of UFC fans are "casual fans" and Leben's big head is more known.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.