Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Dana White responsible for �Rampage' Jackson's departure from the UFC

5K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Ape City 
#1 ·
Dana White responsible for ‘Rampage' Jackson's departure from the UFC

UFC quick quote: Dana White responsible for ‘Rampage' Jackson's departure from the UFC
By Mike Bohn on Jan 19, 7:00p

After months of waiting, Quinton Jackson will finally fight in the UFC Octagon for what he claims to be the final time next Saturday night (Jan. 26, 2013) against Glover Teixeira at UFC on FOX 6. Jackson's displeasure with the organization is well documented, and before "Rampage" heads out the door for good, he wants to let UFC President Dana White know his actions were "the straw that broke the camel's back" and are one of the main reasons he will be looking for alternative employment options come Jan. 27, 2013.

"There're a lot of reasons I'm leaving the UFC, but the straw that broke the camel's back was that they knew I was injured before the Bader fight. The card wasn't strong enough for the fans. I didn't feel I could pull out of the fight because it was in Japan and that's where I came from. The UFC had all the old Pride fighters busy...They knew they [were] going to Japan but they had Dan Henderson, Shogun [Mauricio Rua], all the guys fighting before. Then they tried not to put me on the card and go to Chicago on a Fox card, and I just couldn't understand why they wouldn't use the Pride guys. Dana said [publicly] my head wasn't into the fight and he talked some s--- about me even though he knew I had the injury. They'd helped me with the injury. That was the last straw for me
-- It is a well-known fact by now that Quinton Jackson is unhappy with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) management and plans to leave the organization following the final fight of his contract at UFC on FOX 6: "Johnson vs. Dodson" next Saturday night (Jan. 26, 2013) at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. In a recent interview with ESPN, "Rampage" elaborated on his reasoning for wanting to depart from the UFC, pointing the finger directly at UFC President Dana White. The 34-year-old claims White criticisms of his last performance, a decision loss to Ryan Bader at UFC 144 in February 2012, were unwarranted and "the last straw" because White knew Jackson was injured going into the fight, yet decided to rag on the former UFC light heavyweight champion in the media anyways. Some believed there was a slight chance the "Rampage" and the UFC would be able to mend their relationship going forward, but Jackson's latest comments to ESPN paired with his tangents about a declined Reebok sponsorship on Tuesday's UFC on FOX 6 pre-fight media conference call, the chances of a reconciliation appear non-existent.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/19/3...responsible-rampage-jackson-departure-ufc-mma

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't understand why he keeps bitching about the Japan card, I know that's where PRIDE came from and everything but this isn't Pride, this is the UFC, completely different product.

This guy complains so much but he's a little bitch in all honesty, he whines and complains about how no one will stand with him but Lyoto had him shook so he had to feet stomp him for two rounds until Lyoto finally got a hold of that ass and lit him up. Just a shame he didn't do that sooner and now Whampage wants no part of a rematch.

#12 ·
Rampage needs to get over himself, the UFC supported him after his breakdown, yes im sure they did it for the revenue they believed they could generate from him but surely he isnt that knieve to believe that wasnt so.
Texiera will KO Rampage if he has not prepared 100%

#14 ·
I think Page beats Glover.

And if he does I expect the UFC will dangle a tasty carrot in front of Page.

The UFC won't want him leaving on a win against one of their most promising fighters. I expect they'll offer him Forrest or Shogun. If the moneys right, I doubt Page will be able to turn them down, seeing as desperately wants to settle the score against these two.

That said if he loses, it'll be a 3 fight lose streak, and IF he is offered another contract it'll be a worth a fraction of whatever he currently earns. Page will turn it down and move on.

#16 ·
I hope he doesn't leave the UFC cause hes still a top LHW. But he does seem to be losing his edge imo. Jones seems so much better than the other LHW that honestly maybe moving to a new organisation would be good for him, if he beats big names he could get a rematch with Jones, if hes still champion.

#18 ·
Rampage is being ridiculous. He was given a title shot in his second UFC fight,given another shot, was given a title eliminator fight with Rashad even after pulling out at the end of the ultimate fighter, given another title shot after being gifted a decision over Machida and beating Hamil, got the UFC's full support when he lost his shit, was allowed to fight on the Japan card per his request (which he still finds a reason to bitch about), is now being given a fight against a guy the likes to stand and strike, and all he does is piss and moan.

Seems to me like the UFC has done everything they could to help him out and promote him. He is the one that hasnt been able to stop anyone in his last six fights. That has nothing to do with the UFC screwing him over. Part of being a man is not acting like a child when things dont go your way. He should really look into that.

#19 ·
...That sucks. Rampage is a legend. He's one of the all-time greats and he clearly deserves to get in the UFC Hall of Fame. QJ has done some dubious things that pissed Dana off...like his nut-up after losing the belt to Griffin. Rampage vs. Glover should be a killer fight with TKO/KO implications stamped all over it. Quinton needs to make a bottom line statement in this fight. I wish him well cause Glover is serious, hungry beast...

#21 ·
Depends on the result of the fight.

If Glover smashes him, he's done if he wins, he'll re-sign.

#32 ·
2/3 ain't bad. Page can leave and I won't lose any sleep over it. Forrest is past is prime, there's no denying that. Shogun though, he still has some fight left in him. He's still relevant and definitely still a notch or two above being a gatekeeper.

Reactions: Rygu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.