Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

anyone losing interest?

8K views 96 replies 42 participants last post by  SexyHobo 
#1 ·
Two years ago, I watched pretty much everything MMA/UFC, but now with so many events and PPVs, it seems like I can't keep up anymore. I still watch the big events on fox/ppv, but I might miss a free event every now and then, where as I always made sure I watched them two years ago.

I don't know if this is me losing interest because there is so much content, or if its simply too much content period to keep up with if you have a busy schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the sport, and this isn't a negative post about the sport becoming dull.

#43 ·
I havent been as excited in recent years and that can be applied to several factors. A lack of new contenders gettings shots in established divisions, some divisions have been put on hold for extended periods of time (WW, FW, BW, HW) or have had to many recent rematches (LW). Champions should not be allowed to sit on the sidelines for extended periods of time without being stripped of their belts. It is hard to give a shit about an interim title. I still enjoy watching watching the fights as much as always, but there is far less excitment or that feeling of "needing" to make sure that I am able to watch certain events.

#44 ·
I also think a problem is all these divisions. People on here go "wah wah wah don't be a casual fan, these guys don't gas out, more title fights, give it time" etc. But these divisions haven't added much and the product has gotten less interest coincidentally when there divisions joined. Not solely blaming this, but I know people (myself included) who liked it better with five divisions and found it easier to follow.

#46 ·
People not keeping up with al the UFC events is not a sign that you are tiring. It's just growing too big to keep up. Can a boxing fan watch all matches? The UFC will continue to put on more shows. You just pick and choose. This was always the plan. It shows you that there is growth there not decline.

#48 ·
Am I ahipster for liking more MMA than just the uFC?

I also think a problem is all these divisions. People on here go "wah wah wah don't be a casual fan, these guys don't gas out, more title fights, give it time" etc. But these divisions haven't added much and the product has gotten less interest coincidentally when there divisions joined. Not solely blaming this, but I know people (myself included) who liked it better with five divisions and found it easier to follow.
Heres a suggestion, don't want those divisions then? It's just as easy to follow now. get over it things grow, and Batman is better than spiderman

#51 ·
I think it's funny that OUS, MuscleSherk and I are called hipsters and elitists for liking other organizations of MMA, but every post Sideways makes mentions how he has been a fan for many many years. Who's the elitist now? :p

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

#66 ·
Yep I agree, my problem lies with the rules and judging which IMO encourages "point fighters". That's why I enjoyed Pride rules and scoring better. Thats not to say I didn't like UFC which I honestly watched more of.

#67 ·
The judging definitely is still rough around the edges. Perhaps they'd be better suited to move to a system like Pride had, scoring the fight as a whole as opposed to each round.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

#71 ·
I am under the opinion that people who don't enjoy watching the lighter weights aren't really true MMA fans, what does size have to do with anything? The lighter guys are most often the most technical. I'd also prefer a 5 round war than a 1st round KO for my Main/Co main.

#72 ·
...Huh? Not as interested? Seriously fellas?!? Look at the killers on the rise. The divisions are about to get tighter than that Brazilian Octagon Girl. (Well---that may be stretch. Her ass was the best I've ever seen grace the Octagon.) With the Strikeforce roster flooding the UFC gates this year--- Cormier, Barnett, Rockhold, Souza, ect. Let's not forget the new killers out there. Condit is right up there still brutally dangerous. Condit & MacDonald will be a crazy, sick fight. Rory is one scary dude at 170. How about Hendricks pulling off those crazy one punch dingers? Look at the UFC 158 card and say your not as interested?...It's only been getting better for me...

#76 ·
The judging definitely needs work, I would gladly be a judge for any athletic commission and I wouldn't screw things up. I'm glad we've got someone like Gene Lebell judging now, much better than guys like Cecil Peoples. In time it will improve, what bothers me though is that the athletic commissions never really seem to address the issue of poor judging.

It's like alcoholics 101, to change you must first admit you have a problem.

Rygu, that surprises me. Guys like Benavidez, Creepy and MM were doing well at BW, did you like them then?

#80 ·
Rygu, that surprises me. Guys like Benavidez, Creepy and MM were doing well at BW, did you like them then?
Uncle Creepy is the only 125lb guy I can see myself cheering for. I certainly don't dislike the Flyweight division, it just doesn't get me hyped to watch the fights. I think part of it is that its a pretty shallow division, partially because its new to the UFC obviously. I love 135/145 very much though, so its not like I don't enjoy the smaller guys fighting.

#82 ·
It's hard to put your finger on it. But I've always been a fan of the heavyweights so naturally I'm going to be biased towards the heavier weight classes. Some of them are just too small that I can't get into it. There are also no compelling personalities and no fights that sound desirable besides Aldo/Edgar. I'm not the only one here, as anything below WW has failed to draw pretty much in UFC history outside of BJ Penn.

I don't think a casual fan would post on an MMA message board but I'm not a hardcore MMA fan so I guess I'm somewhere in between? :confused02:

#84 ·
For me there has always been a wow factor for the big boys. A lot of people take a look at a guy like Lesnar, Overeem, or JDS and just go "wow, look at these guys, they are huge! I wouldn't want to mess with that!". It's an intimidation thing. Who would yoube more scared to be punched by, Aldo or JDS? Whether it is true or not, there is also a common conception that there are a lot more knockouts at heavier weights. Matches like Lesnar vs. Overeem sell themselves simply on the fact that you appear to have two greek gods battling. Finally, the big boys also can take the claim as being the best fighter on the planet. not pound for pound, just literally the most dangerous dude around. Lighter weight classes are great, but I think those are some of the reasons some people prefer the bigger guys.

I just wanted to comment on the whole football/soccer being entertaining for life but UFC/MMA interest waning. One thing to note is that a lot of people who watch football/soccer/hockey have a couple teams in which they are incredibly loyal too. Players on those teams will come and go over the years, but the loyalty to the team is what remains. MMA is vastly different. You have people choosing individual fighters, not an organization, as their favorites. I will never miss a canadians game, but I might miss every NY rangers game. It is possible that people are losing a bit of interest because we are kind of in a transition period where a lot of peoples favorite fighters are becoming irrelevant as the new generation of fighters steps in.

#86 ·
Yeah sports comparisons are bad. For football, the good teams play weekly. In UFC, good fighters fight like twice a year. People yawn when the Thursday night football game is like Jets/Jaguars, which could be like the equivalent of like an FX card. Until the UFC can throw out a big time fight on a weekly basis (aka never because thats not possible), UFC cant compete with other sports.

#88 ·
As the UFC continues to expand in places like Asia and Mexico I think that'll solve the lighter weight problems, MMA is still a very young sport so when they get established in those places I expect the Flyweight division to get a real influx of talent.

#89 ·
Still watch every event, not live though as that's just impossible with my current schedule (Shows normally go live at 2AM around here)

Back in the day I was up every Saturday night watching and would avoid spoilers if I haven't seen the show yet.

I don't really mind spoilers anymore (And can't really have that luxury as a member of the staff either) so I guess it's all good.

I'm not as "hardcore" a fan as I was two years ago - still love the sport though. Just as much as I love my formula 1 ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.