MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #318 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
As I get more into Sambo with the new coaches, I'm realizing more and more how impoverished my knowledge of leglocks really was, and how much I'm able to figure out from general grappling principles. We had a guest instructor on the mat tonight walking us through a 10th Planet variation on the deep-half guard that I really enjoyed, and attacking some toe-holds and calf-compressions off of the technique.

It was the first time I'd played with toe-holds since starting working in Sambo; I've been drilling the straight achilles just to get a feel of the various positions to lock in control of the legs and get a feel for the fight there. But in working the technique on the toe-hold I realized that I'd been torquing them in an awkward way, one that works but is not as effective, rotating around the ankle instead of compressing the toes more directly. The change in effectiveness was huge. [I've noticed similar changes in the effectiveness of my straight ankle, too.]

Anyway, there's a lot there to learn, and it definitely helps with generalizing out principles.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote