MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Muay thai and braces??

View Single Post

Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCDOJO101
Amateur

MCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
If you are just starting out, there is a good chance there will be minimal contact, beginner classes are all about the technique and proper form. Sparring with a partner for this purpose involves focus mitts, or pads. The short answer to your question is that if you're just starting out, you most likely will not be getting hit in the braces.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
Not really true. I trained at a MMA gym where the instructor was kind of a douche and in fact encouraged you to get hit to toughen u up. We would make a circle and kick the shit out of each others bodies and he would makes us do pull ups on sharp rails and i said that it hurt my finger bones and he was like "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!". I'm not sure if there are any douche instructors at this gym (hopefully not). I have trained boxing as well before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaG View Post
How long will you need the braces for? and how long have you had them? I can see contact being so heavy that the braces will break, although there is always someone who hits harder than they should.
Get the ShockDoctor boil and bite so it covers your braces, and they do a double shield if you need the bottom row covered also.

I say go for it and drill technique, that way you're learning but there's no risk of your braces breaking.

Take into account, if the braces are on for a year, or more, then that is a lot of time to just be drilling technique and not advancing to sparring. Only so much technique you can learn in that time without being allowed to put it into practice.
I need braces for 2 more years. I had them for around 4 months. I thought boil and bite was not recommended for braces? I saw many bad reviews of shock doctors double braces mouthguard with people saying that it comes off too easily and it breaks too quickly. Idk what to do but I just wanna practice muay thai techniques on heavy bags and mitts and work on my conditioning. better than just lifting weights for 50 minutes 3x a week with no MMA training
MCDOJO101 is offline   Reply With Quote