MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - strawweight coming soon to UFC

View Single Post

Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Roflcopter
Kneel Before Christ!

Roflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAnWEED View Post
I'm not saying right now but a couple years down the road when the division gains more popularity and fighters. Give it time, my friend.
It never will, because it's a placeholder division that no healthy man arguably should even be at.

You know what the 110s serve for in boxing? The only point of that division is for young East Asian and Mexican fighters to earn paychecks while they are literally starving.

Pacquiao started his career there as a teenager because he was impoverished and needed to eat, he actually got body shot KO'd early in his career because of his poor training and diet. Same with guys like Nonito Donaire. All these guys eventually fight upwards of 130 pounds. Hell Pacquaio reached a peak weight of 144 and fit.

I grow tired of these conversations because theres always two extreme sides, one the typical casual ignoramus who thinks he's taking Cruz or Johnson in a fight, and the other the elitist hipster type who thinks that if you aren't open to any MMA fighter ever you aren't a "true fan", even though they probably couldn't name 5 strawweights off the top of their head even if you gave them 10 minutes to study a cheat sheet.

Yes quite a few people knew McCall, Montague, and those sorts. They were on televised fights in a big regional Stateside promotion. Hell, McCall fought in the WEC against high profile fighters before fighting in Lemoore.

The Straweight scene is nothing more than a bunch of underachieving, malnourished Japanese fighters, a 40 year old Thai kickboxing kingpin and a bunch of white belt Kung fu trained Filipino submission grapplers.

Oooh, Im shaking with anticipation.