Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

TUF 17 Discussion

41K views 379 replies 65 participants last post by  UFC_OWNS 
#1 ·
It begins! I've got a good feeling about this season.

#74 ·
I have a feeling chael is just a little better coach than jon heh, if josh samman and bubba get eliminated brutal in the first match they have I will be very happy

#77 ·
Doubt it, he looked really lacklustre in his preliminary fight, hester,hall,barnett,troeng and andrews I already know are better than him.

#84 ·
Kind of an eh fight between Luke and Gilbert. They both have pretty bad ground games, and Luke got tagged a lot against a guy 9 inches shorter than him. The knock out was circumstantial, and I wasn't impressed with his performance at all. At the moment, I don't think his height will be a huge factor in this season. His height is the only thing going for him, and he still had trouble avoiding a 5'9" guys punches. I think Gilbert should have just stood and traded more. He had more success there than in the clinch in my opinion.

And no, I doubt Luke will be able to use his range to pick all of his opponents apart. He didn't seem to utilize it that well against one of the shortest guys on the season so I don't see him doing it against the taller guys either. He had the jab, but that's about all he had aside from that flying knee that came because of Gilbert's predictable take down. Luke's stand up needs a lot of work.

I felt bad for Gilbert. Most of his team weren't supportive at all. That can't put you in the right mind set when your team mates are basically telling you that you're going to lose. They were irritating me and should be disappointed in themselves for that and I hope they eventually realize that they were wrong. Also, wanting favorable match ups to the point that they would complain to Frank Mir about it like little girls shows that they aren't very confident in themselves either, Mcdaniels and Samman at least. Anyways, I thought Gilbert fought hard, but he didn't have the right game plan. He was getting hit with the jab in the stand up, but he was throwing punches back and landing, yet he kept going in for the clinch where it was clear that Luke had a slight advantage. Still, he got a raw deal here.

He's a likable guy though and I hope gets the wild card because his stand up isn't that bad and I'd like to see it from him more. Anyone think him basically getting knocked out will throw him out of the wild card race due to a possible medical suspension?

#88 ·
Warning: Episode 3 spoilers

#94 ·
Video of it:

And article:

UFC President Dana White is not a man uncomfortable with lacing superlatives when it comes to hyping his product. But when he promised that Tuesday's episode of FX's "The Ultimate Fighter 17" would deliver one of the craziest knockouts in UFC history, White was right on the mark.

Team Tiger Schulmann fighter Uriah Hall flattened opponent Adam Cella with a kick so brutal, White said FX lawyers refused to allow him to post an unedited version of the carnage online.

"In my 13 years at UFC I have only seen 5 KO's like this," White wrote on Twitter.

Strikers by trade, Team Sonnen's Hall and Team Jones' Cella traded heavy shots throughout the first round of their middleweight bout, which aired on Tuesday's new episode of "TUF 17." With the round coming to a close, Hall launched a spinning wheel kick that landed on the button and sent Cella crashing to the canvas. Cella was unconscious when he hit the mat, and Hall walked away with a spectacular victory.

Cella took nearly four minutes to recover from the blow, and a gym that had been cheering a highlight-reel finish fell eerily silent as the fighter slowly shook out the cobwebs.

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the head coach of Team Jones, accompanied his fighter for a precautionary visit to the hospital and took to Twitter following the episode to let everyone know Cella recovered quickly from the blow.

"He was in good spirits and actually pretty hilarious on the way to the hospital," Jones said.

Hall is now an obvious frontrunner among the 14 middleweight fighters vying for a UFC contract and is an early favorite for the $25,000 bonus check that comes along with the season's fan-voted "Knockout of the Season."

New episodes of "TUF 17" air Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on FX.
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...spoiler?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

#97 ·
Like everyone who's been wondering about this so called "highlight reel knockout" I must say it delivered in spades. I was wondering when is it coming...when is it coming. Oh it must be in the 2nd round...BAM...

Uriah's fighting style reminds me of Anthony Johnson a bit.

#98 ·
that said this wasn't the most brutal KO I have ever seen, i've seen a few more bad ones than this, but I haven't seen someone go out for that long after a KO

#102 ·
I actually feel from watching these shows Chael has picked the better team. He already has two of his top guys in Luke and Uriah through and I can honestly see Kevin Casey beating Colin Hart. I believe as well that Tor, Jimmy & Zak should definitely win their fights as well. Jones' best two in my opinion are Clint & Josh. Bubba even Jones said can be broken and if he is matched against Jimmy I feel that may be the case.

#117 ·
I actually feel from watching these shows Chael has picked the better team. He already has two of his top guys in Luke and Uriah through and I can honestly see Kevin Casey beating Colin Hart. I believe as well that Tor, Jimmy & Zak should definitely win their fights as well. Jones' best two in my opinion are Clint & Josh. Bubba even Jones said can be broken and if he is matched against Jimmy I feel that may be the case.
Luke is one of his top guys..? Must be a very low talent pool. Was anyone really impressed with Luke's performance against Gilbert? Sloppy ground game, stand up, defense, and won due to a circumstantial flying knee. (He would have probably won the decision, but Smith had a bad gameplan. He kept clinching and attempting take downs even though it was clear he was having no success, but looked okay when he actually stood and traded) Luke is 6'6" with awful distance utilization against a 5'9" middleweight. Is he really one of the top guys on the show? :confused05:

Nice knock out from Uriah. It was a pretty close round up until that point. I thought he had some holes. With an 80 inch reach, he should have utilized his jab more. "Jab please." as Chael put it several times. He finally threw one, but then went back to not throwing them. It didn't matter much considering the end of the fight obviously went in his favor, but that reach is excellent for a welterweight.

#103 ·
HOOOOLLLLLYYY SHITTTT! That slap. Man! Such a good moment after where it was silent in the room and everyone was looking bummed out.
Uriah needs to cover up more though, he was getting hit far too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.