Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Running and Lifting

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  RobZombie 
#1 ·
Is it a bad idea to run my 3 mile run then lift weights(strenght) afterwards? I don't know if my body would be too tired after the run.

#3 ·
well thats what i do, cardio to warm up and then weights after.

plus a light stretch beforehand, get the joints moving, then run, then stretch for real, then weights, starting from the largest groups together to isolated, is probably the least damaging way to work out.

#5 ·
wukkadb said:
I would lift before or run in the AM and weight train in the PM
I think this would be the best method. Unless your running with the intent of warming up, Doing it before you lift might slow down your lifting. You burn more energy than you think running. So Either run afterwards or like he said run in the AM and lift in the PM. Thats what ive been trying and its worked fine.

#6 ·
I tried it. I did 5 Sets - 10 Reps - 50 lb.(bench)
then 3 sets - 10 reps - of 45 lbs(curl)

Then I ran about 3 1/2 - 4 miles. I ran alot better than usually cause my heart was already pumping and I ran faster and farther than I usually do. I think I will do this every monday and friday for a month to see my results.

#8 ·
EastPhilly said:
I tried it. I did 5 Sets - 10 Reps - 50 lb.(bench)
then 3 sets - 10 reps - of 45 lbs(curl)

Then I ran about 3 1/2 - 4 miles. I ran alot better than usually cause my heart was already pumping and I ran faster and farther than I usually do. I think I will do this every monday and friday for a month to see my results.
Instead of 5x10 try out 5x5 with heavier weights.

#11 ·
I don't usually mix the 2 but I do skip rope almost everytime I lift. I keep my runs separate and always will. Think of it this way....Your lifts will get the metabolism pumping and so will your run, might as well split them up and stay leaner/have more energy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.