Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Dana White: Silva vs. Weidman “Closer and More Possible Than People Think"

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  JWP 
#1 ·
Dana White: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman “Closer and More Possible Than People Think”
Posted on January 29, 2013 by Damon Martin

Chris Weidman has made it clear that he wants to fight UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva next, and the fight may be closer to reality that ever before.

Ever since his win over Mark Munoz last summer, Weidman has been vocal about landing a shot at Silva, and remarking how he believes he would be a nightmare match-up for the greatest champion in UFC history.

Currently, Weidman is on the sidelines nursing a surgically repaired shoulder, but after meeting with UFC President Dana White last weekend, it sounds like the fight he’s been wishing for could happen in the near future.

“I think that fight’s closer and more possible than people think. I actually thought Weidman was going to be out a lot longer than he was because of his injury, but he’s healed up pretty well and is claiming he’ll be ready to start training again in a couple months,” White revealed when speaking to UFC Tonight.
“We’re looking at a couple of different options right now, some options that we like, and Weidman’s one of them.”

Now, White has mentioned as recently as last weekend that there is some mystery scenario the UFC is awaiting to be played out before they announce who will next face Anderson Silva in the Octagon.

“We’re waiting on something, we want to see if this thing pans out, and when we’re ready to announce it, we’ll announce it,” White said about Silva’s next title defense.

The caveat that most people keep believing that White is referencing is former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans, who faces Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at this weekend’s UFC 156 card.

Evans has hinted at a possible move to middleweight so long as the fight was either for the title or against a top contender. Fighting Anderson Silva would obviously accomplish that goal, and if Evans can win this weekend, he could be the mystery fighter the UFC is waiting on.

Only time will tell however who Anderson Silva will face next, and if Chris Weidman is indeed the choice.
I hope that they can it happen this year.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white...an-closer-and-more-possible-than-people-think

#2 ·
All this smack talking from Weidman,etc is just gonna justify his death wish. He has never faced an a list fighter and is coming off an injury to fight the Goat. Weidman is gonna get beat down, sucks his career will be irrelevant after 10 fights.

#4 ·
Because you take the humungous payday when it's offered. If he takes another fight and loses, he loses out on six figures and then some.

I'm still not sold the UFC will go forward with this. They're backed into a corner though as Rockhold is just as unknown (if not more than) as Weidman, Belfort got destroyed by Silva too much sooner, and they were riding on Bisping to win and he lost.

#8 ·
I agree that Weidman should take the fight at the first chance he gets. Who knows how much longer Silva is gonna be around, or how much longer he is going to be at the top of his game. I wouldnt want to miss my opportunity to fight him or lose out on the chance to be the guy to finally knock him off. Weidman is still fairly green in MMA, a loss to the greatest mw and most likely greatest overall fighter wouldnt do that much in terms of hurting his career.

#10 ·
Nah nah let's give title shots to cung le and maybe brian stann and bisping and belcher let's not give it to the one guy at middleweight that ahs the style to beat anderson if used correctly and who is still undefeated no that wouldn't make sense anymore and hey after weidman goes 14-0 after wins over vitor and others in the future maybe then he get a shot a t number contender's match. But before that let's give anderson a fight at 205 against matt hamill

#13 ·
I hope he does get it so ppl can stop whining on here all the time

Be careful what you wish for etc etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.