Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rashad Evans knows he'd beat Anderson Silva, not gunning for 'bittersweet' fight

8K views 108 replies 38 participants last post by  xRoxaz 
#1 ·
With UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva seemingly running short on contenders in his own division, fans and pundits alike have begun to look at other classes to bring him a proper challenge.

Rashad Evans (17-2-1 MMA, 12-2-1 UFC) is one the of the names being tossed about, but "Suga" isn't so sure he'd take the fight – even though he feels confident he'd walk away victorious.

"I'm not a good matchup for him," Evans told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm sure he's not chomping at the bit to fight me. He doesn't really have anything to gain from fighting me, so I don't know if he would even want to fight me. I don't know why he would go out of his way to fight somebody like me. If the UFC is not going to make him fight me, then I don't see why he would fight me.

"Besides that, I love Anderson. He's a great guy outside of the cage, and he's one of my favorite fighters to watch inside the cage. To me, to fight him would be a little bittersweet because I know I would beat him. I know I would beat him."

The 5-foot-11 Evans actually made his UFC debut as a heavyweight, defeating Brad Imes in the final bout of "The Ultimate Fighter 2" to claim that season's tournament title. He immediately dropped to light heavyweight, where he became UFC champion in 2008 with a win over Forrest Griffin. He would later surrender the title to Lyoto Machida, and he recently failed in a bid to gain it back by losing a unanimous decision to former friend and training partner Jon Jones.

That was nine months ago, and Evans admits he needed a little time away from the sport to again find his motivation.

"After you climb the top of the mountain and you don't get where you want to go and you kind of fall down a bit, it takes a little bit of a mental break to help to kind of recuperate and get yourself feeling right to get back out there and climb that mountain again," Evans admitted. "I did find the motivation again, but it was difficult.

"That fight with Jones, it took a lot out of me emotionally more than anything. Not having the results I wanted, it was a bit of a heartbreak for me. It was just more a relief that that part was over in my life. I had to kind of come to peace with everything and the way things happened, and it was kind of closing a chapter in my life. That was something important for me to have happen."

Evans kept busy by working with FUEL TV as a UFC analyst, and he hopes he can transition in a full-time broadcasting gig when his fighting days are over. But he's not ready to make that switch just yet.

Instead, he now meets Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (20-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at this weekend's UFC 156 event in Las Vegas. The bout serves as the co-main event on the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

Evans is a heavy favorite in the fight, and some pundits wondered aloud why the fight was booked with "Little Nog" struggling through a 1-2 stretch. However, Evans said the fight booking provided plenty of motivation for him, and he's looking forward to competing against such a respected opponent.

"I have huge respect for the Nogueira brothers and the legacies that both of them have created," Evans said. "At the end of the day, when my career is said and done, I want to say that I competed against some of the best guys in the business, and he's somebody that I consider one of the best guys in the business. He and his brother are both legends, and I'm excited to compete against him.

"'Little Nog' took some time off, and I think that kind of refreshes the body both physically and mentally. With the time off and a fresh feel, not to mention the fact that he's got incredible heart, I'm expecting a good fight. I'm going to go out there and put on a good performance and bring it."

But what comes next isn't exactly clear. His fight with Jones was one of the most anticipated of 2012, but the champ's victory was undeniable. A rematch wouldn't seem to be in the cards for quite some time, but Evans isn't fully letting go of the possibility.

"I still watch Jon, and I love to see him fight," Evans said. "I love to see his creativity. I still watch him, and I still want to get a chance to fight him again. I know and I believe that if I fight him again, things will definitely be different. I feel like I've got what it takes to beat him. I've studied his game, and I know it. I feel like it would be a different fight this time around.

"I'm just excited to climb the ladder again, and however long it takes, it takes, but I'm a student of the game, and that's what I want to continue to be. I want another chance to fight for the belt, and when I do, it will be worthwhile for me."

So what about a quick trip to middleweight for a meeting with Silva? While fans have asked about it, the matchup doesn't seem to be a part of the UFC's immediate plans. And for that matter, Evans isn't even sure he could make the weight.

"I would have to do a practice cut and see what would happen before I even would agree to something like that," Evans said. "It's kind of hard for me to make 205 sometimes. So 185, I don't know what I'd have to do. I'd probably have to lose some weight in my legs or something, and I don't know how to do that."

He's also not looking past the challenge ahead of him this weekend, even if others might be.

"They're overlooking Nogueira, but I'm not," Evans said. "They've already got me winning the fight and wanting to fight at 185. But for me, it's first things first, and that's fighting Nogueira. That's the only thing I really care about right now. Anderson is I guess a fantasy fight. It has to be the right deal for it to even happen.

"It's just a matter of getting that belt back around my waist. I just want to go out there and compete with the best guys. If I get a chance to fight Jon Jones or Anderson Silva or whoever may have the belt at the time, that's what it's about. I just want to go out there and compete and have fun competing."

For more on UFC 156, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/rashad-evans-knows-hed-beat-anderson-silva-not-gunning-for-bittersweet-fight

#81 ·
No one can fight like Sonnen does. I think Sonnen is the ultimate underdog. Unless you're a submission heavy fighter, he has a chance to grind out anyone in the world to a decision. I've got a feeling we'll see Bones stopping him with Guillotine.

If Anderson fought Evans, it'd be one his best performances of all time imo.

#86 ·
I just don't get it. Honestly it's pretty laughable that people think Rashad has no chance. He has nothing for him? Yeah nothing except a very high level of wrestling. But what is wrestling in MMA?

I don't know if Rashad would win, but you are fooling yourself if you legitimately think Rashad has "nothing" for Anderson.

#95 ·
Actually, wrong. I'm completely indifferent towards Rashad, I neither like him nor dislike him. And he's only a bad match up for Anderson IF he fights to a perfect gameplan and executes it perfectly for the entire fight, something which he's never done.
Rashad's never executed a perfect gameplan? Lol, pull the other one, mate. So using his superior speed to counter fight the counter fighterin Chuck Liddell so that Liddell got frustrated and walked into a bomb wasn't a perfect gameplan? Mixing high and low striking with technical wrestling in order confuse Rampage and keep him guessing wasn't a perfect gameplan? I could go on, but then, i'd only be embarrassing you.

And his road to the championship was filled with cream puffs, hell, Bisping's the only other high profile fighter I can think of with as many freebie fights on his record. His biggest win in the streak was a washed up Chuck Liddell who had just lost to Keith freakin' Jardine. I'll give him his due for beating Griffin, but let's be honest, he was getting solidly outpointed up until he lucked into a knockdown in round 3.
You're just taking the piss now. You're suggesting Dana, who didn't even rate Rashad up until the Forrest fight, fed Rashad easy fights? Like i've said before, Jason Lambert was a fighter on like a 5 or 6 win streak before being bumped off in convincing fashion by Rashad. Stephen Bonnar has always been a solid fighter. Not great, but he had far more experience than Rashad and Rashad just rag dolled him around like nobody's business. Chuck was a former LHW who was coming off a great performance against Wanderlei Silva. He had only lost to Rampage and had a bad night against Keith Jardine.

He had also fought a super heavyweight in Brad Imes, who whilst not super skilled, had a ridiculous size and height advantage over Rashad.

And so what if he was getting outpointed by Griffin? He was NEVER in any danger in that fight, and Rashad knew it. When he decided that he had enough of the stand up, he took Griffin down and finished him in less than a min.

#98 ·
Rashad's never executed a perfect gameplan? Lol, pull the other one, mate. So using his superior speed to counter fight the counter fighterin Chuck Liddell so that Liddell got frustrated and walked into a bomb wasn't a perfect gameplan? Mixing high and low striking with technical wrestling in order confuse Rampage and keep him guessing wasn't a perfect gameplan? I could go on, but then, i'd only be embarrassing you.
Chuck I might give you, but not Rampage, considering that he got floored in the 3rd round, and were it not for Rampages ineptitude he would've been finished.

You're just taking the piss now. You're suggesting Dana, who didn't even rate Rashad up until the Forrest fight, fed Rashad easy fights? Like i've said before, Jason Lambert was a fighter on like a 5 or 6 win streak before being bumped off in convincing fashion by Rashad. Stephen Bonnar has always been a solid fighter. Not great, but he had far more experience than Rashad and Rashad just rag dolled him around like nobody's business. Chuck was a former LHW who was coming off a great performance against Wanderlei Silva. He had only lost to Rampage and had a bad night against Keith Jardine.
And who did the mighty Jason Lambert beat in his win streak? No one in the top 20, that's for sure. And Bonnar, much as I love the guy, is much the same, his only notable win is Keith Jardine. Oh, and Chuck had a bad day against Jardine, yeah, ok, whatever. If you want to play that game then Forrest just had a bad day against Rashad.

And so what if he was getting outpointed by Griffin? He was NEVER in any danger in that fight, and Rashad knew it. When he decided that he had enough of the stand up, he took Griffin down and finished him in less than a min.
So it took him 2.5 rounds to decide that he'd enough? I guess it had nothing to do with Forrest breaking his hand during the fight which allowed Rashad to finish it? Forrest just got unlucky and had a bad day, if he didn't break his hand in that fight he'd have won an easy decision.

And once again, you, yourself admitted that Rashad used a complete dumbass gameplan in both of his championship fights against Jones and Machida. You know, the one he just lost? And you have reason to believe he'll suddenly smarten up and execute a smart perfect plan against Silva?

#100 ·
Chuck I might give you, but not Rampage, considering that he got floored in the 3rd round, and were it not for Rampages ineptitude he would've been finished.
You keep mentioning the 'were it not for' and 'if's'. Nobody gives a shit about what might have happened, i'm more interested in what ACTUALLY happened, and what happened in the Rampage fight is Rashad outsmarted Rampage, got into a little trouble in the 3rd round, and survived to come back and steal the round again. That's the mark of a true warrior, imo.

And who did the mighty Jason Lambert beat in his win streak? No one in the top 20, that's for sure. And Bonnar, much as I love the guy, is much the same, his only notable win is Keith Jardine. Oh, and Chuck had a bad day against Jardine, yeah, ok, whatever. If you want to play that game then Forrest just had a bad day against Rashad.
If you're cool with discrediting other fighters records, then go for it. But Keith Jardine, Brad Imes, Stephen Bonnar, Jason Lambert, Michael Bisping and Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin aren't gimme fights. Then going on to beat T.Silva, Rampage, Tito Ortiz and the highly rated Phil Davis doesn't make you a non top fighter. That makes you an elite fighter.

So it took him 2.5 rounds to decide that he'd enough? I guess it had nothing to do with Forrest breaking his hand during the fight which allowed Rashad to finish it? Forrest just got unlucky and had a bad day, if he didn't break his hand in that fight he'd have won an easy decision.
Rashad remembered that he had something over Forrest. I don't know about Forrest breaking his hand or whatever, but I know that Rashad took him down the moment he realised he was out pointed, and then that was it. You're trying to tell me that even if Forrest had broken his hand, it would have saved him from the ground and point assault that Rashad put on him yeah??? Besides, it wasn't that bad, Rashad was outpointed yeah, but he was so confident in Forrest's lack of power that he stood and taunted him before taking him down in the next round and ending it. Easy decision? Lol, the harder strikes were thrown by Rashad.

And once again, you, yourself admitted that Rashad used a complete dumbass gameplan in both of his championship fights against Jones and Machida. You know, the one he just lost? And you have reason to believe he'll suddenly smarten up and execute a smart perfect plan against Silva?
Yes, Rashad used terrible game plans versus Machida and Jones. So, what, he's doomed to have bad game plans everytime he has a championship fight? He isn't capable of executing a good game plan against Silva all because he didn't against Jones and Machida?? Rashad often learns from his mistakes. He adapts, it's one of the reasons he became the champ. There isn't any logical reason to suggest he wouldn't have a strong game plan against Silva. Sonnen laid down the blue print, Rashad just has to implement the plan, and I think he could. Silva's weakness is Rashad's strength, and Silva may have the stand up advantage, but Rashad's ever improving striking and athleticism is less a gap than the grappling aspect of the fight is.

I respect Silva a lot, i'll never look past a man who has defended the belt over 10 times, but I have Rashad winning 7 times out of 10, at least. Just a bad match up, that's all there is to it.

#101 ·
Rashad remembered that he had something over Forrest. I don't know about Forrest breaking his hand or whatever, but I know that Rashad took him down the moment he realised he was out pointed, and then that was it. You're trying to tell me that even if Forrest had broken his hand, it would have saved him from the ground and point assault that Rashad put on him yeah??? Besides, it wasn't that bad, Rashad was outpointed yeah, but he was so confident in Forrest's lack of power that he stood and taunted him before taking him down in the next round and ending it. Easy decision? Lol, the harder strikes were thrown by Rashad.
If you read the interviews from back then, the reason Forrest had trouble defending himself after he got taken down was because his hand was broken. He couldn't get wrist control (a broken hand gets in the way there) and eventually he ate too many punches and got put out.

With regards to not respecting Forrest's power, the way you do that is the Anderson Silva fight or the Shogun rematch. As in dodge or walk through everything Griffin can throw and knock his ass out in the 1st round.

Yes, Rashad used terrible game plans versus Machida and Jones. So, what, he's doomed to have bad game plans everytime he has a championship fight? He isn't capable of executing a good game plan against Silva all because he didn't against Jones and Machida?? Rashad often learns from his mistakes. He adapts, it's one of the reasons he became the champ.
Yeah, he learned so well from the Machida fight that he did the same thing all over again in the Jones fight. Yup, let's stand & trade with a better striker who also has better range control, and forget about wrestling. Brilliant! I guess it's possible that Machida hit him so hard that he can't remember the fight, and that's why he fought the same way against Jones.

#106 ·
So yeah, what were you saying about Rashad learning from his mistakes and fighting a good gameplan? Look who stood and played patty-cake with a better striker. Again.

What would the kids these days say? I believe the term we're looking for is "epic fail ROFL!"

#109 ·
at this point i think Rashad needs to retire if he wants to keep his name up with the Elites in history. Rashad does not have that hunger nor the speed or timing he used to, and at this point i would put Glover, Gustaffson, Feijao, Machida and Vitor all above him at LHW. I would however like to see how he would do against Shogun and Hendo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.