Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

I just wanted to say...(Overeem - Bigfoot)

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  No_Mercy 
#1 ·
Never in a million years would I have given Bigfoot a chance against the machine Overeem. Except a lucky submission. Man, Bigfoot, they need to take a picture of him and put it next to the definition of Redemption in the dictionary. Wow. Bigfoot, congrats brother, you deserve a big win like this. Biggest win of his career, bigger than Fedor. Nobody gave Bigfoot a chance. Un-be-lieve-able.

#8 ·
He was beating BF decisively for two rounds. If he had his guard up that punch wouldn't have gone through. He tried slipping which is what you do if you don't have your guard up, one punch caught em then it stunned em. That was the start of the chain combo. Overconfidence is indeed a muther fawker. That being said I have full confidence (lolz) Overeem will destroy BF in the rematch. He basically had em in the first and especially in the second round, but he didn't TEE OFF. Whether he was conserving energy, toying, or didnt want to be placed in a compromising submission that was the key. He allowed BF to go for broke just like with Boetsch against Okami.

I find Big Foot to be annoying especially his fight against Arlovski, his win over Fedor, and of course tonight. I'm glad Cain and Cormier did a number on em. I don't believe he's the better fighter than Fedor or The Reem. He simply stuck to his guns and fought his fight. That's it. Now he's going to get KTFO by JDS, he'll also lose to Barnett.

btw: Where's Carwin! Carwin vs Overeem would be interesting!

#13 ·
BF had a game plan tonight. Tie up Reem and wait. When you are as big (and as unnaturally puffy) as Reem, you have a round, at best, to end the fight using your power. Watch the fight again and it all makes sense. Nothing flukey about it. Reem gave him the fight as soon as he thought he could clinch or wrestle BF. BF has the natural size and natural endurance.

If Lesnar, whom I despise, had done this, I bet he too could have beaten Reem. He will never be UFC champion.

Loved this fight.

#14 ·
That fight turned out this way because BF played a safe fight the same way he did against Travis. Where he stayed put and had his hands up high. He knew they weren't going to take em down which is a very big advantage so he simply bided his time.

Round 1: Overeem starts off the way he usually does stalking his opponent, but he couldn't get off. He doesn't like to overcommit either to leave himself open for a counter. So he ended up clinching em against the fence and kneeing em. Thing was he never really landed a big shot. Just bascially controlled BF.

Round 2: Same thing til BF tried to clinch and take Overeem down. Overeem reversed it using his superb strength. Here lies the key. He didn't capitalize. Where Cain pounded him out relentlessly along with Cormier, Overeem hit em with short shots, and a few hard body shots. Nothing too damaging though. Then I think he let em up in end of the round which enabled BF to get a good shot in.

Round 3: BF is down two rounds. What do you think he's going to do. This is where a sound game plan and cornerman comes in. Noticed he didn't have his brother Valentin there or even in his UFC debut. In the future I'd suggest Overeem having his bro there cuz he's someone he'll listen to and also someone to keep him grounded and focused. In the Brock fight Overeem said he had a vision and a plan which he executed. In this fight it really looked like it was all improv. He wasn't able to execute the way he normally fights...landing one big bomb like he usually does in all his fights. This was a testament to BF tight defense. For a wrestler they'll welcome that high guard and take em down.

If you ever fought it's really tough to circumvent someone who stands there with a high guard especially if you don't have quickness or speed. Overeem landed a few leg kicks, but not enough cuz he didn't want to be susceptible to get taken down. He also knew BF was playing the waiting game. Again that's where Overeem should have just cornered em and landed at will rather than toying with em.

Poor execution in the 2nd and third especially for a championship caliber fighter. First round was a feeling out process. Second he got as dominant position as you can get. BF isn't going to pull a sub or sweep against em especially if you're getting your fists in his face. This one is going to haunt him for a little while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.