MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Thread

View Single Post

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #216 (permalink)
dvonfunk
Flyweight

dvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V03 View Post
How about I change that to the more skilled fighter? Frankie's heart and conditioning is nearly unmatched, but I don't know.. I guess I get a sour taste in my mouth when a less skilled guy wins because of superior conditioning when it comes to a title fight. I mean, I get it, it's apart of the fight game. Work ethic is important and you need a solid one to balance out your skills, but it's an ugly way to win a championship fight. Get beat up, but then after the guy is tired of bullying you, you make your comeback and win. It's admirable and I respect his toughness a lot, but I just don't see a champion. A champion spirit? Totally! Champion skills and image? Just doesn't work for me. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Just how I see it I guess. Take it or leave it. I can still be a fan of a guy like that. Diego Sanchez for example, one of my favorite fighters who has taken beatings before, but has won despite the adversity. That's awesome to see either way.
Yes, the more skilled fighter is a more apt description here. The reason this fight bothered me so much is not because of the decision itself, or even the judges scoring, it's because of HOW Aldo won. I apologize for this rant in advance! Haha

Nothing bothers me more than watching these guys that have all that talent in the world, but aren't willing to work hard enough to maximize their potential. Cage rust or not, there's no excuse for Aldo getting tired after two rounds. Look at GSP. He was off for a full 6 months longer than Aldo was, and on top of that, he had a much more limiting, and devastating injury. But GSP has a true champion's work ethic, and as a result, his conditioning was never in question. In fact, he looked like he could've went another 5 rounds after the Condit fight.

That's the difference between guys like Edgar and GSP, and guys like Aldo. Edgar is never going to let poor conditioning be the reason he loses a fight. Why? Because he knows full well that an inferior fighter can win with superior conditioning. It's been proven time and time again.

The fact that Edgar was able to push the pace for 5 rounds after taking all of that punishment- while Aldo got tired after two rounds- tells me the Edgar worked a heck of a lot harder in preparing for this fight than Aldo did. Ultimately, you'd like to see that hard work rewarded. I know I do, anyway. It just so happens that Aldo is the more skilled fighter. And the fact that he was still able to pull off the win- in spite of his conditioning- against a guy like Edgar, just goes to show what kind of talent Aldo is. Which makes you wonder how good he could actually be if he had a guy like Frankie's work ethic.

It seems to me that right now, Aldo's getting by on pure talent. He's so much more skilled than the guys he's fighting, that he can overcome less than ideal conditioning. That won't last forever though. He's missing that last piece of the puzzle. Last night was a prime example. Who knows, maybe it was the wake-up call he needed. He can't get by on these "oh he was hurt so he couldn't train properly" excuses forever.

Now it's possible that the cut is just getting too hard for Aldo, and that's the reason he fades in the championship rounds. If that's the case, he needs to move up to 155 so we can see the best Jose Aldo. If he was too fast for Edgar, who was arguably too fast for anyone at 155, can you imagine Aldo at 155?! With a potentially better gas tank?! Now that's scary.
dvonfunk is offline   Reply With Quote