Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Anthony Pettis considering drop to 145 - wants Jose Aldo!

2K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Hellboy 
#1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/3...uld-drop-to-featherweight-challenge-jose-aldo

LAS VEGAS -- Just after the judges' scores were read, announcing Jose Aldo had retained the UFC featherweight champion, Dana White's phone buzzed. He looked down to see a text from Anthony Pettis, who was in attendance at the Mandalay Bay Events Center watching the action.

Pettis, who was coming off a knockout win over Donald Cerrone just last week that had vaulted his name near the top of the lightweight contenders list, had an unexpected but interesting proposal for White: he wants to fight Aldo, and he's willing to drop down to featherweight to do it.

"It didn't cross my mind until he texted me, but it's crossing my mind now," White said with a smile afterward. "I like Pettis."

The offer places Pettis in a unique position; he's effectively angled himself to challenge for the belt at either featherweight or lightweight.

White said he wasn't sure which way things would ultimately break, but it would likely be dependent on timing. It was possible that Pettis could try his hand against the Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez winner, or he could be plugged directly into a title match with Aldo.

Before Pettis' proposal, there was no clear-cut featherweight top contender, but several strong candidates including Ricardo Lamas, Cub Swanson and Chan Sung Jung.

White said it was his understanding that Pettis, a lifelong lightweight, would have no problem making 145 pounds. The former WEC lightweight champion has reeled off three straight wins since losing his UFC debut to Clay Guida in June 2011.

Fresh off his win over Frankie Edgar, Aldo indicated he would be up for the challenge.

"It's up to Dana but that is an interesting fight," he said through his interpreter. "I train to fight the best. I think to fight Pettis, he's almost there with a title shot in his own division but it would be an interesting fight."
Showtime didn't appreciate that superman punch off of the cage.

#2 ·
This fight would be so damn epic - I really (REALLY) want to see this. My favorite fighter against one of the most exciting strikers in the UFC today. Would be one to watch, that's for sure :)

Sounded like Dana really wanted this fight to happen last night as well.

#4 ·
You know I've been racking my brain on who would win. This is a very tough fight to call. The edge would be with Aldo simply because of how accustomed he is to the weight class. But they both have serious fire power...Pettis probably even more so since he's proven to have been able to knock out bigger opponents.

If Pettis has a good weight cut and cardio isn't an issue...he could take it due to his reach and vast arsenal. He still has tools that we havn't quite seen yet.

Interestingly enough that would be the third fighter to drop down in weight class to challenge em for the belt.

#11 ·
Cool fight but doesn't interest me, just saw a good LW go down and get tooled.

Pettis just earned a title shot at LW, but now wants to have it at FW? Na, shouldn't work like that. Not fair on the other fighters in both divisions, their goals being put on hold because Dana's favorites get to jump divisions and get immediate title fights.

#15 ·
I completely agree, I'd kill to see him fight Aldo, for the pure awesomeness the fight. However, he needs to get the belt from Bendo, which will still be an awesome fight.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

#17 ·
Pettis knows Henderson will pull a page out of Guida's book and actually utilize his wrestling this time around. Why risk losing on the ground when he can take a fight with Aldo and play to his bread and butter? He obviously recognizes this threat if he's willing to make the move.

#23 ·
This fight would be so sweet if it actually happens in the near future. Both have amazing tools standing and the best thing for the fans here is that in a fight it will be so hard to predict who will prevail between those two mind blowing champions. In my opinion Pettis's striking is something else and not many fighters on the planet can stand and trade with him. I think this is a good move by Pettis's camp, because that way he won't wait so long for his title shot in the 155 pounds division. Everything can happen after Gil and Bendo's fight, there might be some injuries for the champion or some other issues. A bout between him and Aldo is the best move possible at this time. Good for Pettis, he's tired of the exasperating waiting and he's making things happen, pushing for a title fight, which he deserves for sure!

#30 ·
I think this fight is better for Pettis and for the fans. I'm not saying this is a sure will for Pettis, but I think this fight would occur much more in his comfort zone. I think Benson would just try to wrestle hump Pettis to a decision and he knows that. So he wants to go where the fight is going to be good... I want that too.

#31 ·
While I'm not opposed to Pettis fighting Aldo, I think it's a bit ridiculous that the Featherweight title will be held up yet again for another Lightweight's bid to take it. The only thing that makes this attempt slightly more acceptable to me, is the fact that unlike Edgar, Pettis is coming in on two convincing victories and a split decision victory. However, these victories came at Lightweight. If he wants to contend at featherweight, then give him some Featherweight contenders from a division that has been stalled long enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.