MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Should Alistair Overeem retire?

View Single Post

Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
smood
MMA Fanatic

smood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the roughsmood is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Should Alistair Overeem retire?

I was incredibly shocked to see the horrible KO of Overeem last night... especially at the hands of Bigfoot. Don't get me wrong big foot is big powerful striker and anyone can get KO'ed (well except maybe Anderson Silva because hes Neo and can cheat and slow down time)... but for someone of his caliber (probably not even top 5 HW in UFC) to KO reem, it makes it hard for me to imagine Reem having much success in the division overall.

I understand many of you will argue he wasn't taking Bigfoot seriously and I do agree with that. But if you watch the fight you will see that he is actually trying to evade punches and in the third round was doing it quite a bit but simply just got outclassed when Bigfoot just rocked him with an initial punch while standing and then just destroyed him from there once he was initially dazed and covering up.

Could reem stick around and beat lower tier HW's, sure he could. But it seems to me that he will never be remotely close to the UFC HW championship which is what his entire motive was for coming to the UFC (yes you may say all fighters want to be champion, but lets be honest, many fighters are ok with the status quo and just competing, winning and grabbing a cheque from Dana).

I feel that hes been through so many fights now, his chin is getting weaker and weaker (like wanderlei silva where his repetitive trauma from fighting so many times has effected him to the point where you can just brush his chin and he practically has a cataplectic drop attack) and his striking hasn't really looked that impressive for years.

Do you think it might be a good time for him to just retire and not let his legacy be tarnished any further?
smood is offline   Reply With Quote