Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

What is the reason for Team Pulver's Domination?

Reason for Team Pulver's Domination

3K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  RWGreen 
#1 ·
Is it that that the fighters are just better, or is it that Jens is a way better coach than BJ?

#27 ·
I beleieve editing tricks aside, Jenz is still probably the better coach. He's MFS and those guys are known for being animals about their workouts and Im sure Jenz is probably bringing that mentality to team Pulvers training. He also has the more cohesive team. His guys seem to have a better work ethic and are working far better as a team. Again that could all be editing, but I don't think so.

As to everyone saying that if wang would have beat melendez if he would have just taken him down like he was told to, what are you basising that on? Purely the fact that they say he's a BJJ black belt? Because unless I have fallen asleep and missed something, I ain't seen wang work on the ground or melendez for that matter, so I agree, if he would have listened to his coach he would have stood a better chance to win, but until I see their grond games, all this speculative talk has no basis.

#28 ·
"I know for a fact that all the fighters on BJ's team are training I asked one of the cast members and he said they made it look like BJ dosen't train hard through editing. Anyways Team Pulver's team is just more talented. The only guys that are good on team Penn are Gray,Matt and Joe." - Ozz525

Agree with everything except Reudiger, Lauzon and Maynard are the best fighters. Mizon is a veteran, but not a skilled one in ground. BJ's team they could have won at least one more fights if Thomas tried to get up when Manny was punching him on the ground (had three chances to get up would have had to take punches but thats the chance you take; probably would have lost anyways but not as dominate of a loss) and Wang should have took Melendez to the ground (most likely a win then). Melendez has no Jiu-Jitsu training at all.

#29 ·
Boxing>MMA said:
"I know for a fact that all the fighters on BJ's team are training I asked one of the cast members and he said they made it look like BJ dosen't train hard through editing. Anyways Team Pulver's team is just more talented. The only guys that are good on team Penn are Gray,Matt and Joe." - Ozz525

Agree with everything except Reudiger, Lauzon and Maynard are the best fighters. Mizon is a veteran, but not a skilled one in ground. BJ's team they could have won at least one more fights if Thomas tried to get up when Manny was punching him on the ground (had three chances to get up would have had to take punches but thats the chance you take; probably would have lost anyways but not as dominate of a loss) and Wang should have took Melendez to the ground (most likely a win then). Melendez has no Jiu-Jitsu training at all.

#31 ·
As some already said, it is because of the way they picked their teams. BJ tried to demoralize Pulver and simultaneously pick out the most ambitious fighters by calling out anyone who "wanted nothing to do with Team Pulver". Pulver mostly went for the guys who didn't buy into BJ's ploy, the ones who were there to be the toughest fighter they could be. So Penn ended up with a couple of good fighters and about five rockstars.

Penn is a great fighter but he is arrogant, which is why he is a great critic of his team but only a mediocre coach. Pulver clearly has more experience coaching (many years at MFS I guess) and is more humble and accepting, which goes a long way in coaching.

#32 ·
BJ Penn should had scout these fighters better than just who wants to be on his team routine & it's now biting him in the ass.

#34 ·
Slamnbam88 said:
bj didnt have the chance to give them a real look cuz jens tired them out

also..jens is picking the matchs...of course hes gonna have an advantage.
Don't give me that shit, BJ saw evalutions on all the fighters and didn't even pick his damn team based off of their talents. He picked all the guys that wanted to be on his team.

And why is Jens continuing to pick the matches? Because he coaches his fighters better and trains them better as well.

Stop making excuses. Christ BJ Penn nuthuggers are senseless.

#35 · (Edited)
Alex_DeLarge said:
Don't give me that shit, BJ saw evalutions on all the fighters and didn't even pick his damn team based off of their talents. He picked all the guys that wanted to be on his team.

And why is Jens continuing to pick the matches? Because he coaches his fighters better and trains them better as well.

Stop making excuses. Christ BJ Penn nuthuggers are senseless.
A couple weeks is hardly enough time for any coach to impact any of the athletes' technique while on the show. The biggest thing that either of these 2 coaches can impact is conditioning and at this stage of the competition whatever shape they were in before TUF is still affecting their performance. When we start seeing BJ's better guys in there we will see BJ's team winning. On a side note, you are hardly one to preach about nuthugging when all we hear from you is how indestructible Anderson Silva is whenever someone questions his abilities, despite having clear holes in his game. And even though I admit to being a Penn nuthugger, you seem to be a clear cut Penn hater. Whenever someone says something remotely positive or defends him in any way, here comes Alex DeLarge, "NUTHUGGERS!!!" Grow up, we were having a fine debate as to why Team Pulver has won all matches so far.

#36 ·
I think BJ just got shafted on the 1st training session. Jens wore them all out and bj had no one to evaluate. They should've had Jens' training session 1 day and then BJ's the next. Because BJ had no one to evaluate, Jens got the best picks first

#37 ·
southpaw447 said:
I think BJ just got shafted on the 1st training session. Jens wore them all out and bj had no one to evaluate. They should've had Jens' training session 1 day and then BJ's the next. Because BJ had no one to evaluate, Jens got the best picks first
If his evaluations had anything to do with his picks, you might have a point, but BJ made his picks based on which fighters raised their hand, as did Pulver to some degree.

#39 ·
It's all about the matchups. Let's say, hypothetically, that there are 2 teams. We'll call them team A and team B. There are eight fighters on each team, and they are approximately equal, rank for rank.

1A = 1B
2A = 2B
3A = 3B
4A = 4B
5A = 5B
6A = 6B
7A = 7B
8A = 8B

Now, if you were the coach of team A, and you were dictating the matchups, you could fight your best guy against team B's 2nd best guy, your 2nd best guy against team B's 3rd best guy, etc. Your last guy gets reamed by the best guy from team B, but you've won 7/8 fights. It would look like this:

1A > 2B
2A > 3B
3A > 4B
4A > 5B
5A > 6B
6A > 7B
7A > 8B
8A < 1B

Now obviously, things aren't this simple. If you wanted your guys to have a bigger advantage, you could sacrifice your bottom 2 or 3 guys to give your top 5 or 6 guys a bigger advantage. But the team that is dictating the matchups has a HUGE advantage. I think that that's the primary reason for the discrepancy so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.