Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

The hypocrisy of the Bendo hate

5K views 89 replies 43 participants last post by  Sportsman 2.0 
#1 ·
I really can't understand why people dislike him, well apart from the whole religion thing, which to me is a stupid reason to dislike a fighter. Even still, there are plenty of fighters out there who are religious and people don't have a grudge against them; matt hughes is deeply religious, no-one as a problem with him. Most, if not, all Brazilian fighters are fiercely religious, that never gets brought up, so I can't see why benson gets so much crap about it. He seems a nice enough guy, so aye someone could enlighten me?

#2 ·
Actually most people hate Matt Hughes because he is a raging douchebag. He's not a good example.

As for Bendo... the hate is really ****in' stupid. I'm not religious. At all. And I don't have a problem with him being faithful or thanking God after a fight. He's not preaching at me. He's just not hiding his light under the bushel so to speak. I don't mind that. I'm not sure why most do.

#5 ·
I think it's inappropriate to use the UFC (or any other major sports organization) as a platform to share one's religious faith. Religion to me, is a personal thing and should be kept private and out of the public venue. I have no problem with Henderson being religious, I have a problem with him using the UFC as a means to promote it. I don't understand that if he wants to thank "god", why can't he do it privately?

I'm indifferent to Henderson as a person and a fighter. I don't actively root against him but I wouldn't by any stretch label myself as a fan.

Also...Matt Hughes gets major, major hate just about everywhere and there is a reason for that. He's just had a hell of a career and has done so much for the UFC, that his personality often goes ignored.

Reactions: Fang
#22 ·
I think it's inappropriate to use the UFC (or any other major sports organization) as a platform to share one's religious faith. Religion to me, is a personal thing and should be kept private and out of the public venue. I have no problem with Henderson being religious, I have a problem with him using the UFC as a means to promote it. I don't understand that if he wants to thank "god", why can't he do it privately?
Really? So it is alright to use the UFC spotlights to promote a certain brand of alcoholic beverage, brand of clothes, F*cking Metro PCS or even to hype a fight using personal attacks or repeatedly thowing obscene gestures at opponents live, but personal faith in God should never be disclosed? Interesting POV.

#8 ·
Love Bendo - Not a fan of Hughes...

I don't mind Bendo "praising the lord" after his fights because he's damn well earned that right. Other than that he should keep it to himself, which he does for the most part.

His controversial win/wins isn't his fault and really shouldn't be held against him since he had nothing to do with it.

Besides he's always in exciting fights so I see no reason to dislike him, he's one of my top three favorite fighters ATM.

#10 ·
I really can't understand why people dislike him, well apart from the whole religion thing, which to me is a stupid reason to dislike a fighter. Even still, there are plenty of fighters out there who are religious and people don't have a grudge against them; matt hughes is deeply religious, no-one as a problem with him. Most, if not, all Brazilian fighters are fiercely religious, that never gets brought up, so I can't see why benson gets so much crap about it. He seems a nice enough guy, so aye someone could enlighten me?
:laugh:

#14 ·
He's no Chael Sonnen, but I have no problems with Bendo. Exciting fighter. Good guy, imo. That said, I don't get my panties in a bind if fans decide they don't like someone. People can like and dislike whomever they please, and they don't need a reason for it. Ah, freedoms and rights.

#19 ·
I don't mind him talking about his religious stuff. The only place I have a problem with people praising their magic sky monster is in politics, anywhere else it's not a big deal to me, he has a right to say whatever he wishes after a fight.

I also don't "dislike" him, but I certainly believe he did not win vs. Edgar and hope he loses soon as he should be the champion right now.

#20 ·
As someone who dislikes religion immensely, he is the only fighter that praises jesus that I say yeah he can do what he wants. Plus the tooth pick really? One fight and OH GOD ITS A THING!!! lol The hair too? So Clay Guida's hair bothers you too?

Ridiculous arguments. I guess thats why opinions only matter to the person involved and are all just as ludicrous.

#25 ·
Haters gonna hate. Bendo is Alpha as fck. I love his raised arm and pointing up to the sky (or God in his case) pre-fight introduction. It tops JDS' pointing down to the octagon floor as the best pre-fight intro/trademark thingy what ever IMO.

Rofl at people hating on Bendo's tooth pick antics. That is the most bad ass/insane thing I think I've ever actually seen in the sport before (serious). Not only am I going to beat your ass, but I'm going to do it with a tooth pick in my mouth.

What a bad ass mother ****er.

#30 ·
Man, some people are right twits.

Asking us to justify why we might not like somebody only to then claim those reasons are not valid. Well, if you dont like it, feck off.:thumbsdown:

Benson Henderson is a fecking idiot. You know why hes an idiot? Because he fecking is. The end.

#43 ·
Sarcasm or not I would like to believe that our senior members would be able set a good example for all the new members that join the site around PPVs - guess not.

Now - thread back on topic or it will get closed. Feel free to use WAYDRN for all the other jazz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.