Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

CroCop: "Overeem needed putting back in his place"

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  UFC_OWNS 
#1 ·
CroCop: "Overeem needed putting back in his place"

February 4th 2013

It wasn’t only Brazilians who celebrated Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva’s win over Alistair Overeem on Saturday night. The third-round KO caused a certain Croatian heavyweight to jump out of his seat in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Shortly afterwards, Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic was sitting down in his Zagreb home to explain to his Facebook friends why he was so happy to see Overeem get finished like that. It wasn’t because Overeem nearly kneed his testicles into a living death at DREAM 6, but rather on grounds of sportsmanship.

“I wasn't surprised by Silva's victory at all and I had believed he would win. I don't want to come off as a smart-ass or say I knew it all along, so I'll explain why I'd believed so. First, Silva is a big tough guy with a huge heart who had demolished Fedor and he needs no better reference than that and Alistair hugely underestimated him and belittled him with his arrogant statements, so this motivated Silva in the best possible way,” he wrote.

“Second, Silva is a natural heavyweight, and Alistair - for the first time since way back in 2007, when he began to gain huge weight – fought without the drugs he had used constantly for years, including testosterone and all the other shit that goes with it.

"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscle-mass was nowhere near usual. He had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that.

“Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and forbidden and, in the end, very dangerous to health. But I don’t think he is concerned by any of that, he wanted success at any cost.

“And the third reason is, Alistair had behaved so arrogantly that someone needed to put him back in his place. His belittling of Silva was repulsive, saying that after beating up Silva he'd go for the belt, and at the weigh-in and entering the arena he acted like he invented the fighting sport. He's been behaving with so much arrogance lately that I'm glad Silva put him back in his place and taught him a lesson! Congratulations Silva, from the heart!”

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/18209-crocop-qovereem-needed-putting-back-in-his-placeq

#2 ·
I am an Overeem fan, but I have to agree here. I believe in fighters fighting with honor and respect towards their opponent, not going out there like a cocky asshole. Hopefully he learns from this and changes his attitude in the octagon, but I doubt he will.

#4 ·
Cro Cop speaks the truth. Cro Cop could literally say anything about Overeem and I'd be fine with it, I bet his balls are still inside him thanks to Uberoid.

#6 ·
I don't like Cro Cop and he always bashes guys like Overeem and Lesnar who aren't always the "show respect good guy" type fighters. He faded into irrelevancy and always tries to take digs at the top guys while they are down.

With that being said, I'm happy Overeem lost. The sucky thing is that now there's no true HW contender (although we could get Reem/JDS anyway), but that was karma for you. And I'm happy for Bigfoot since he got obliterated in his first UFC showing.

#7 ·
Great post! Cro Cop has it on the button, and having seen Overeem develop over all these years, I don't think his attitude is going to change. If 7 loses in Pride couldn't humble him, one loss now isn't going to do it.

#11 ·
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscle-mass was nowhere near usual. He had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that."

Exactly what I was thinking after the weigh in and subsequently after the fight.

#12 ·
He dissevered to lose that fight but now i think K1 Alistair will be back High guard picking his shots and firing devastating counters.
people are bagging him saying without the roids his nothing, but even with roids u fight like a dumb ass against a guy with big power like silva your gona get KO'd. also the way he lost i think doesn't hurt him that much cause people see it more as his fault than anything not to take anything away from silva he pounced on his opportunity and good on him but i think a big win in Overeem's next fight and he'll get a title shot.

#14 ·
He dissevered to lose that fight but now i think K1 Alistair will be back High guard picking his shots and firing devastating counters.
people are bagging him saying without the roids his nothing, but even with roids u fight like a dumb ass against a guy with big power like silva your gona get KO'd. also the way he lost i think doesn't hurt him that much cause people see it more as his fault than anything not to take anything away from silva he pounced on his opportunity and good on him but i think a big win in Overeem's next fight and he'll get a title shot.
Not usually a stickler for grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, but damn son you really butchered that one...haha. I was like is that an actual word, wait a minute think he meant deserved.

I was actually rooting for Mirko of course in that fight, but Overeem landed not once, but twice in his gonads. I think his testes went up into his intestines. It was that bad.

Edit: Wonder how much of a factor peds were. Beginning to wonder if there's a correlation.

#17 ·
that's funny cro cop, last I checked when you fought overeem you took the cheap way out and were never in that fight and reem wasn't even that big back then, roids aren't the reason reem lost silly it's boxing overeem has good knees and body kicks but god awful boxing and cardio and average leg kicks, which is nothing new or surprising if you have seen reem fight before. Another small part of why he lost was because he was toying around with bigfoot for 2 rounds when even with his bad boxing he could have finished him with some clinch knees or some straight punches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.