take on what's wrong with the rankings:
1. Despite his 0-0 record in the UFC, Gilbert Melendez is listed as the #1 lightweight contender. You know, because he’ll be fighting for the title soon.
2. Other 0-0 fighters on the rankings list: Tarec Saffiedine (#10 welterweight), Luke Rockhold (#7 middleweight), and Gegard Mousasi (#10 light-heavyweight).
3. After losing his featherweight debut against Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar is now the 4th-ranked featherweight contender in the UFC.
4. In a related story, Edgar is #9 on the pound-for-pound list — right between Demetrious Johnson and Dan Henderson — despite being on a three-fight losing skid.
5. “Steve Cofield, Mark Daniels, Marc Raimondi & John Silver all ranked Chael Sonnen as a top 10 LHW. Sonnen hasn’t fought at LHW in 7+ years.” Sonnen’s name doesn’t appear on the consensus light-heavyweight list, or the middleweight list, which is just as strange.
6. A dude named Anthony Springer Jr. had Roy Nelson and Pat Barry listed as the UFC’s #3- and #4-ranked heavyweight contenders — based on accomplishments, not personality — and ranked Brian Bowles as the #3 bantamweight, directly over Urijah Faber. Also, Daniel Cormier was in his Top 10 P4P list, but wasn’t included in his heavyweight rankings. This is the caliber of MMA-pundit that they’re relying on, guys.
7. Nick Diaz is ranked above Rory MacDonald on the welterweight list, which is kind of ludicrous if we’re considering their actual recent accomplishments in the welterweight division.
8. Since the UFC only has three fighters in its women’s bantamweight division, a rankings list for that division doesn’t exist.
9. Speaking of weak divisions, the flyweight ranking list has two fighters who sport 0-1 records in the UFC — #10-ranked Ulysses Gomez, and Jussier Da Silva, who managed to place all the way at #5.
10. Ian McCall is winless at flyweight in the UFC. He’s still ranked as the #3 contender, right above John Moraga (2-0).