Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC reveals Vitor Belfort used testosterone replacement therapy for UFC on FX 7

5K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  Anteries 
#1 ·
UFC reveals Vitor Belfort used testosterone replacement therapy for UFC on FX 7

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 06, 2013 at 1:25 pm ET

UFC officials today answered the question Vitor Belfort refused to address: Yes, "The Phenom" did use testosterone replacement therapy in advance of his UFC on FX 7 win over Michael Bisping.

UFC officials today revealed Belfort was granted a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy prior to the bout and that his post-fight drug screen "did not indicate the presence of any prohibited substance for increasing performance improvement."

Belfort and Bisping headlined the Jan. 19 event, which took place at Sao Paulo's Ibirapuera Gymnasium. The Brazilian scored a second-round TKO over the Brit and then proceeded to call for a rematch with current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

All 22 fighters who competed on the card were tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, and the UFC this past week confirmed one test result in an "irregular" finding, which led to speculation that Belfort – who in 2006 was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for the anabolic steroid 4-Hydroxytestosterone – was the culprit.

However, as UFC President Dana White promised following this past weekend's UFC 156 event, that was not the case. Instead, the failed result belonged to lightweight Thaigo Tavares, who was suspended for nine months.

"To dispel rumors that have been circulated, Zuffa wishes to clarify that Vitor Belfort’s drug test results were negative and did not indicate the presence of any performance enhancing drugs," a statement from Zuffa read.

Still, Belfort's use of testosterone is sure to raise a few eyebrows. However, UFC officials said the fighter has been diagnosed with hypogonadism, the same condition that allowed Chael Sonnen to receive prior exemptions, and that Belfort's levels have been properly monitored by a Nevada physician.

UFC on FX 7 marked the regulatory debut of the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA), which is part of the upstart International Mixed Martial Arts Federation. (UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner, whom the Brazilian commission shadowed during the UFC's three prior events in the country, chairs the IMMAF's technical committee.)

Belfort, who's recently dodged questions about his potential use of testosterone-replacement therapy, addressed reporters prior to Saturday's UFC 156 event in Brazil and dismissed the rumors of the failed drug test.

"I think people get jealous when a guy at my age is destroying these people getting title shots," he said. " ... I think when you look good, the tendency of people to judge you and criticize you is bigger because it sells [newspapers]. See, we're talking about this, but I had a great performance, and we're spending more time talking about the controversy than my performance."
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...tosterone-replacement-therapy-for-ufc-on-fx-7

#54 ·
I've not read the entirety of this very interesting thread. But I for one am absolutely disgusted by TRT use in this sport. I'm 41 years old, started martial arts was 9 years old and have always been a fan of all combat sports and martial arts. I'm only mentioning this so you know a little where I'm coming from.

People get up in arms when I say this, but the outcome of fights are far more random than the hero worshipping types would like to believe. And a significant variable is the state of mind of the fighter. Testosterone is known to ramp up aggression self-confidence and put people in a more violent state of mind. This alone in my view is a huge unfair advantage not taking into account the physical ability enhancement.

I can't believe people who believe the complete garbage about people putting in a tiny amount of testosterone into their system to bring it up to normal levels. How can anyone be that naive.

Anyway it stinks to high heaven and I have utter disgust and contempt for the fighters that use it. There's a strong possibility that TRT use leads the sport to be looked at as dirty and a sort of X-rated entertainment. Who's got the start and support sporting academies for young people to do MMA When this odious corruption and cheating is rife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.