Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Josh Koscheck might take some time off, do some bad things, then fight for a title

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  dvonfunk 
#1 ·
UFC Quick Quote: Josh Koscheck might take some time off, do some bad things, then fight for a title
By Thomas Myers on Feb 7, 9:45p

Josh Koscheck is thinking about stealing some of Nick Diaz's secret UFC title shot sauce, just don't expect him to smoke his way to the top.

"Did you say fan? I'm not a fan -- his values and my values are completely different. He does things that I don't do like smoking pot and I don't associate it with that. I'm not saying it's wrong, but that's just what he does and it's not my thing. I'm not a fan of Nick Diaz, no. It just seems like now in the UFC, if you can talk a good game, you might be able to get a light heavyweight title shot. And if you get suspended for a year, come right back after losing a fight, you get to fight Georges St. Pierre for the title. So, maybe I'll just take a couple of months off, do some things I shouldn't do, and maybe I'll get to fight for the title. But, hey, he's in the position now and hopefully he can step up and beat Georges St. Pierre. I highly doubt it -- I believe it's going to be an easy fight for St. Pierre. He'll just take him down, wrestle him and control him like he has everyone else. Georges is going to be there for awhile -- it's going to take a good wrestler who can stop his takedowns and has power in his hands and eventually knock him out."
-- What a difference three months can make in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight division. Toward the end of Oct. 2012, Cesar Gracie was fishing for Nick Diaz fight after company president Dana White remarked that he would need to defeat a "top guy" to get ahead in the 170-pound title chase. So Gracie informally suggested via Twitter.com that Diaz battle Josh Koscheck at UFC 156 on Feb. 2, 2013, which would have marked his first appearance inside the Octagon since a loss to Carlos Condit and a subsequent 12-month suspension for getting popped for pot. Koscheck informally accepted, but then, about two weeks later, UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre defeated Condit at UFC 154 and called out Diaz for his next fight. White agreed and the rest is, well, history. Koscheck, meanwhile, was booked to battle Robbie Lawler at UFC 157 later this month. The way in which it all went down apparently didn't just bother Johny Hendricks (more on that here), the rightful No. 1 division contender, and many mixed martial arts (MMA) fans. It, along with awarding two Middleweight fighters -- Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen -- Light Heavyweight title shots, sent the message that the promotion is willing to reward loud mouths and bad behavior. "Kos," speaking to MMA Heat, clearly is not amused with the decision(s). Are you?

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/7/3965964/josh-koscheck-time-off-bad-things-nick-diaz-ufc

#2 ·
I get why Kos and Hendricks are pissed, it's totally understandable. However, at the end of the day, the UFC is about putting on the fights that THEY see fit. Their decision - which at times can be unfair in the eyes of the loyal MMA fans - will always trump what the fighters want. It's a business and at the end of the day Nick Diaz vs GSP will make a lot more money than GSP vs Hendricks and will.

#3 ·
I feel his pain. Diaz and Sonnen getting title shots at WW and LHW respectively, is a complete and utter disgrace to the sport.

To a lesser degree Edgar, and now Pettis cutting line for the title shot at FW without having a fight in the division is also disheartening.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited as a fan, but where is the diplomacy in this so called sport? This is hopefully where the rankings will start to hold Zuffa more accountable to give the most deserving fighter the title shot.

Reactions: evilappendix
#5 ·
That is what the world is now. Have you listened to musical artists who sell a lot of records? They are 95% garbage. What is on TV these days? No one should be shocked. This is how the world works right now and how it has for a little while now.

I could give 2 shits about guys who have got the shot and already lost to GSP by domination. What has Kos done since to make us think he would do any better? I don't care about challengers who got their shot and wasted it.

Sure Hendricks has a real gripe. But he has whined enough himself. He doesn't need Kos to help him out.

#7 ·
On one hand I agree with him, on the other, do we really need to see Koscheck/GSP III?

If Koscheck is smart he needs to chase that all time UFC wins record (that he's close to getting), cement his position in the top five(where he likely is) and finish his career as one of the greatest fighters to never hold a title (which he's about six top ten fights away from).

#9 ·
On one hand I agree with him, on the other, do we really need to see Koscheck/GSP III?

If Koscheck is smart he needs to chase that all time UFC wins record (that he's close to getting), cement his position in the top five(where he likely is) and finish his career as one of the greatest fighters to never hold a title (which he's about six top ten fights away from).
How do you think he stacks up vs Fitch in that same category? What about Bisping?

#14 ·
I put Kos and Fitch about equal in terms of what they have done. Kos took more chances so he was KO'd by a guy like Paulo. And he took a Thiago Alves fight on 2 weeks notice and lost.

Fitch might have the better w/l record, but he also fought as safe as possible and hasn't finished anyone in years, and most were cans.

Bisping is below both. Not nearly as many quality wins. When he loses he gets destroyed. I'd put Bisping on a Diego Sanchez level.

#24 ·
As long as they keep giving shots to the loudest idiot, who is usually the most unqualified, then all of the champions will be champ for a very, very long time. Sonnen and Diaz have no chance in their upcoming fight. Sonnen will be finished within 3 rounds. GSP will make Diaz look like an amateur.

#25 ·
How is Diaz, a former world champion, the 'least qualified'? How is Chael Sonnen, who has beaten several top ranked MWs and is the only man to take Anderson Silva into deep waters, the 'least qualified'? I can think of several other persons at WW and LHW less qualified to fight the champions.

GSP has made everyone he's fought look like an amateur. And Jon Jones destroyed both Shogun and Lyoto Machinda in less than three rounds. That doesn't mean that the men they're fighting are 'unqualified'. I could see an argument for undeserving, but unqualified is just a dumb thing to say. The UFC wouldn't have signed off on these fights if Diaz and Sonnen were cans.

#30 ·
Let me play devil's advocate here. And let me preface it by saying I am no Diaz fan. But I think those people saying Diaz is unworthy of a title shot are taking it a bit too far. Now, you could argue that there is a more worthy contender (Hendricks), and I would buy into that. But if you recall, Diaz and GSP were slated to fight already and no one had a problem with it then. You could argue, even then, whether he was the worthiest contender. Sure, he did end up losing to Condit in a close one, who then lost to GSP, but many would argue that Diaz won that fight (I would not be one of them).

The fact is, Diaz-GSP is a legitimate grudge match. GSP wants to smash him. And he'll be the biggest heel in Montreal in UFC history. His only loss is a close- and some might say (again, not me)- controversial loss to Condit. Just because Condit lost to GSP, doesn't mean Diaz will. I personally think GSP will handle him with relative ease, but you can't use MMAmath there.

I'm not saying Diaz is more worthy of a shot than Hendricks, quite the opposite. And I'm certainly not saying Diaz has a better shot at beating GSP than Hendricks, again, quite the opposite. I'm just saying Diaz is a worthy contender, albeit not the worthiest, and the bottom line is that fight is going to sell a heck of a lot more. UFC is a business first. I for one have no problem with Diaz-GSP first. I want to see that fight. If Hendricks is as bad a man as most of us think he is, he'll take out the Juggernaut and get his shot next... unless of course GSP-Silva miraculously happens first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.