MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Olympic wrestling, the counterblast.

View Single Post

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anteries
MMA Fanatic

Anteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to beholdAnteries is a splendid one to behold
Olympic wrestling, the counterblast.

Living in the UK the last Olympics was the 1st time I got to see the sport of wrestling properly. Trust me it's simply does not exist in the UK as a general theme, and is really only known about through American teen films. The finest of which being Dream Quest of course.

I really liked it, and enjoyed it more than the other combat sports, like judo and tae kwon do.

After of course regretting its removal from the Olympic sports roster along with many people here. I asked my self the question why they did it. I'm only speculating but there are some negatives against wrestling.

1. The strange system of picking balls out of a bag, it was like a mixture of sport and coin tossing. And that leaves a weird taste in the mouth.

2. It's widely known that wrestling encourages unhealthy weight cutting. Under no circumstances is this healthy though it's properly not harmful but not something you want to see young people doing.

3. Wrestling has had a long history of steroid abuse, particularly in Eastern Europe, Romania, Turkey et cetera.

But most of all it's the 1st point, they have to do something about the rules of wrestling and stop with those random balls.

It will be much better if they did it like sumo wrestling, where the tournament was decided by who got the most wins during the tournament as a percentage, to make it like a normal sport of pure skill rather than chance.

I don't mean any disrespect to any wrestlers, hats off to you guys. I really wish I'd known about how effective wrestling was in fighting during my younger days. It was all karate and judo back then. Anyway I digress.

Have one question, I'd be interested to know how the rules of wrestling could be improved to break the constant stalemates.
Anteries is offline   Reply With Quote