Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Anderson Silva could make welterweight for Georges St. Pierre superfight

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Dr Gonzo 
#1 ·
Anderson Silva could make welterweight for Georges St. Pierre superfight
By Mike Bohn on Feb 17, 11:00p

Will the Anderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre superfight ever come to fruition? No one knows for sure, but UFC President Dana White says that if it does, the fight could take place at 170-pound as "The Spider" recently told the UFC boss he could meet St. Pierre at the welterweight limit.

If Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre won't move up to face Anderson Silva at middleweight or a catchweight, "The Spider" may just have to come down to make the fight happen.

And according to UFC President Dana White, the Brazilian can pull it off.

St. Pierre vs. Silva is a mixed martial arts (MMA) superfight that has been years in the making with both men dominating their respective weight classes in the UFC, fighting just 15-pounds apart from each other.

Talk regarding the match up really began to vamp up late last year around the time St. Pierre fought Carlos Condit at UFC 154. Silva was sitting cage side for the bout and it appeared as though the fight was finally going to become a reality before "Rush" decided he would rather remain at 170-pounds for a fight against Nick Diaz at UFC 158 on March 16, 2013.

With Silva likely to defend his 185-pound title against Chris Weidman in the summertime, it seems the breaks for the superfight are on for now.

While that news may come to the disappointment of many, don't completely count out the chances of the fight happening in the future. The UFC boss says the fight can and likely will happen, and when it does, St. Pierre won't have to do a thing - - Silva will come to him.

"Anderson would go to [170 pounds], too," White told media members following a conference in England last Wednesday (Feb. 13, 2013). "Yeah, he said he'd do it. He says he can make [170] easy. It's insane."

Silva (33-4) is no stranger to fluctuating his weight, as the Brazilian has fought as low as welterweight and as high as light heavyweight over the course of his 15-year career. However, the last time Silva fought close to the welterweight limit was over seven years ago when he lost to Yushin Okami in a fight contested at 174-pounds.

At 37 years of age, Silva dropping down to welterweight would be an unprecedented move in the world of MMA. But with that said, basically everything Silva does in and out of the cage is unprecedented.

Silva last fought in October 2012 at UFC 153 where he defeated Stephen Bonnar by technical knockout. The Team Blackhouse product holds UFC records for most consecutive wins, knockdowns and title defenses, to name a few.

It's unknown at this time if the UFC would book Silva vs. St. Pierre as a title
fight if Silva could realistically make 170-pounds.
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/17/3...could-make-welterweight-for-georges-st-pierre

#3 ·
This pretty much sums up the article. At 185 I do not believe GSP has much of a chance. At 170 Anderson will definitely lose muscle mass. In his pre UFC fights he was ultra deadly, but didn't have as much power. GSP can no doubt implement his gnp game plan. If GSP loses at 170 it would be a HUGE embarassment vs him going up to 185. This is an exhibition for the fans and for their legacy. GSP is playing it safe and it looks like the hunter wants its prey at all cost. Like the honey badger who's hungry enough to go after a venomous snake.

Personally I don't like it cuz GSP and camp arn't even compromising to go at 178/180 to put on a show. I get it, they don't want to lose. But that's what separates the champions from the immortals. Anderson has taken many risks already. Risks with absolutely ZERO upsides.

At 37 years of age, Silva dropping down to welterweight would be an unprecedented move in the world of MMA. But with that said, basically everything Silva does in and out of the cage is unprecedented.

#5 ·
Nothing about this fight is "super". It's a load of freakshow nonsense.

I don't want Silva to drop to 170 fecking pounds.

I don't want GSP to move up to MW either. The WW division needs him.

And having them fight at catchweight? How utterly absurd. A so called "superfight" that's not for a belt? :laugh:

#6 ·
I think Andy could make 170, but it would ruin his cardio and strength. He wouldn't be the Anderson we've come to expect amazing things from each time he steps in the cage.

I have no interest in seing this fight at 170 and very little interest in seing it at catchweight. If it happens, it's because GSP decides to move up to 185 permanently and that doesn't seem very likely ATM.

So - thanks but no thanks. Would much rather see Andy have a few more fights at LHW than this.

#8 ·
I was never too interested in this fight anyway. The biggest superfight in the UFC right now IMO, is Silva and Jones... they've both got a couple of wrestlers in front of them right now, once that's out of the way... I'd be much more interested in that.

Anderson is considered by just about everyone to be the best of all time right now... fighting a man smaller than him, no matter how good he is makes little sense to me... challenging the current LHW champ/inevitable future HW contender would be much more impressive.

#10 ·
Anderson would kill him at 170, 185...doesnt matter, hes just too good...i think he can make the cut, ppl exagerate how big he is (cue the anderson vs griffin weigh in pics) bla bla bla, hes not huge, anderson in shape is in the 190s, same as GSP...anderson being over 200 pounds is him OUT of shape when both of them are in shape the difference between them is less than 10 pounds

Anderson isnt that much bigger than when he fought okami in 2006...he was 175 at that time...if you look at the pics from that time to now he just seems to have gotten a bit thicker but nothing dramatic, hes not as skinny as he used to be but he doesnt have a lot of muscle either, i think he could slim down to 170 and destroy GSP then move up to 205 and destroy JBJ:praise01:

though i do think 176 would be an ideal catch weight..this fight doesnt need belts, both of them are bigger than the belts at this point

#13 ·
I completely agree with this guy.... Anderson doesn't have a huge muscular physique. It's not like he's going to be 'losing all his muscle mass'. If the dude didn't take such advantage of his burger king sponsorship... he'd never be over 200lbs.

With that being said... 170 does still seem like a pretty big cut for the ol' man. I think this fight is more interesting at 170lbs. GSP shouldn't have any issues with that and Anderson can have a much easier cut.

If Anderson is smart he'll start a much slower cut and get his walking weight down under 200lbs.

#14 ·
Maybe Dana is trying to put pressure on Georges by threatening that Silva will move down to fight him.

As another guy said, it would be a complete embarrassment for Georges to lose in his own weight class by a guy who has had to turn himself into a zombie in order to make it.

He'd be better off moving up or fighting at a catch weight. No way is he gonna risk losing at WW.

#16 ·
I think Silva going down to 170 is the only chance this fight will ever happen. Silva has drifted between weight while GSP has been at one weight for a while. I think it's more that GSP doesn't want to give up the WW Title and add on a lot of weight for one fight (and still have a size disadvantage), which I can understand.

#22 ·
AS as a WW at 38, when he's been fighting one and two weight classess higher for years and years, is drifting so far into the land of conjecture, that speculating on the possible outcome is completely pointless.

I will say that he would have one HELL of a cut to make weight, and again, at 38, it's difficult for me to imagine that not having a deleterious effect.

#28 ·
If GSP defeats Nick Diaz I think it's time for this fight to happen. Don't end up like boxing and give fans false hops of pacman vs mayweather. Both fighters have cemented themselves as legends and have nothing to prove. It would also be the best selling MMA fight of all time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.