MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How will wrestling being kicked out of the Olympics effect the UFC in the future?

View Single Post

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
RedRocket44
Bantamweight

RedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level nowRedRocket44 is on another level now
Hard to say -- I think it could mean less 1-dimensional wrestlers 20 years down the line -- but probably not. College wrestling will still be around, and isn't going to lose popularity. Many kids do it as a means of getting scholarships, and putting themselves thru school.

There are lots of collegiate wrestlers in the UFC, but not as many Olympic wrestlers make the jump to MMA. While I still consider wrestling a combat sport, it takes a different type of person willing to get in a cage with 4oz gloves on and get punched in the face (probably KOed a few times in their career) or choked out. Only a small fraction of wrestlers out there would be willing to take a MMA fight -- and they will do so with or without Olympic wrestling.

The wrestlers out there that are thinking about making the jump to MMA will just make the jump sooner I think, since Olympic competition is out of the picture.
RedRocket44 is offline   Reply With Quote