Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Another, what do you want to happen? UFC 157 edition

6K views 94 replies 34 participants last post by  OU 
#1 ·
Again, just like I have done a few times before. What do you want to see happen the most at UFC 157? Seems like the majority of people really want the co-main event to play out one way or the other. Both Machida and Hendo have large fan bases. What do you want to see happen? There is always the "I just want to see good fights" cop out.

No surprise, I want Hendo to knock Machida out. Nothing against Machida, I'll root for him most the time. But Hendo is the man.

#48 ·
"been proven" lol, that is simply not true.

When I see a man fight or talk I don't think to myself why he's an attractive man! I look at the quality of what he's doing and judge him on that. I couldn't care less what he looks like.

I'ts subconscious. I know you don't actually think that. But there is proof that if you are attractive people tend to correlate that with success.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9516.html

Since the mid-nineties, Daniel Hamermesh . . . has done a series of studies on the role that appearance plays in the workplace, and his conclusion is captured by the title of his recent book, Beauty Pays. In the U.S., he finds, better-looking men earn four per cent more than average-looking men of similar education and experience, and uglier men earn thirteen per cent less. . . . Hamermesh finds that pulchritude is valuable in nearly all professions, not just those where good looks may seem to be an obvious asset. . .
http://www.statisticbrain.com/attractive-people-success-statistics/

Attractive People Success Statistics Data
Percent chance an attractive person will receive a callback after an interview 72.32 %
Percent chance an unattractive person will receive a callback after an interview 62.02 %
Percent more that attractive workers earn than unattractive 10 %
Average lifetime earning difference $230,000
Average salary for people with low self-esteem $50,323
Average salary for people with high self-esteem $78,927
Average salary for someone who was 6’0" at age 18 $51,880
Average salary for someone who was 5’1" at age 18 $40,000
Percent of salary increase with each standard deviation increase in facial symmetry 8%
Salary by Average Weight Men Women
70 lbs under average weight $35,000 $62,000
30 lbs under average weight $46,000 $49,000
Average weight $52,000 $40,000
30 lbs over average weight $59,000 $32,500
70 lbs over average weight $67,000 $21,500
Perceived competence of women who wear makeup
Makeup Competence Reliability Attractiveness Trustworthiness
No Makeup 3.7 3.6 3.1 3.8
Natural Makeup 3.9 3.7 3.5 3.9
Glamorous Makeup 4.2 3.7 3.9 3.9
The above was psychological test where participants were shown faces for .25 seconds and asked to rate them using a 7-point scale ranging from "not at all" to "highly/extremely"
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...bout-why-beautiful-people-are-more-successful

The research reviewed by Hamermesh shows that attractive people, both men and women, earn an average of 3 or 4% more than people with below average looks, which adds up to a significant amount of money over a lifetime. Beautiful people are also hired sooner, get promotions more quickly, are higher-ranking in their companies (a study found the CEOs of larger and more successful companies are rated as being more physically attractive than the CEOs of smaller companies), and get all kinds of extra benefits and perks on the job including, perhaps, more free tickets to fly in F/B class. It turns out that more attractive people often bring more money to their companies and therefore are more valuable employees. For example, a good-looking insurance salesperson will sell more insurance than one with below average looks. But that's not the whole story. Even in situations in which more and less attractive employees don't differ in their earning potential, employers are biased in favor of the better-looking people. For example, a study showed that above average looking people who apply for loans are more likely to obtain loans and to pay lower interest rates than below-average looking borrowers. This occurs despite the fact that the two groups of borrowers don't differ in their demographic characteristics (age or gender) or credit history. In fact, it turned out that the attractive borrowers were more likely to be delinquent on their loans than the less attractive people. Hamermesh's conclusion is that lenders are willing to exchange more generous terms on loans "for the pleasure of dealing with good-looking borrowers." They do this, according to him, simply because they are prejudiced against bad-looking borrowers. Similarly, Hamermesh thinks that good-looking insurance salespeople sell more insurance because customers are biased against bad-looking insurance sellers.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tiful-how-we-discriminate-in-favor-attractive

Researchers at the London School of Economics studied 52,000 people in the U.K. and U.S., and their results were conclusive: Attractive men have IQs 13.6 points above average, while attractive women score 11.4 points higher. “Physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general intelligence,” said the lead researcher, Satoshi Kanazawa. The research was published in the professional journal Intelligence. In what many would regard as a controversial perspective, Kanazawa says, “our contention that beautiful people are more intelligent is purely scientific,” adding, “it is not a prescription for how to great or judge others.”
There are a lot more studies and if I was allowed I would link journals from the University I have access to.

#51 ·
I'ts subconscious. I know you don't actually think that. But there is proof that if you are attractive people tend to correlate that with success.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9516.html

http://www.statisticbrain.com/attractive-people-success-statistics/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...bout-why-beautiful-people-are-more-successful

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tiful-how-we-discriminate-in-favor-attractive

There are a lot more studies and if I was allowed I would link journals from the University I have access to.
I don't buy it.

There's more to it than that.

Less attractive people tend to have lower confidence which I think factors into their ability to perform at job interviews, etc.

I personally believe confidence is what affects the scores, not just looks.

The point is, you guys for some reason think Machida is good looking. "I" think that's really strange and not something a man should say.

#54 ·
You know you've hit a nerve when you're receiving anonymous neg rep!

Homophobia? Please. Just because "I" think it's weird that certain users go on and on about how good looking a fighter is on a fight forum doesn't mean anything.

I'm just trying to point out how it looks to those of us who don't find him "aesthetically pleasing".

If you think I'm homophobic then maybe you're a ****?

I'm just trying to have a fun debate, isn't that what this forum is for? Not neg repping just because people have their own personal opinions. I'm disappointed.

#56 ·
I want Lawler to put Kos to sleep, though he will probably get out wrestled all night. So I'm really wanting Josh to go in with a lot of confidence in his hands.:thumb03:

I want Hendo to win so he will then have a chance to capture one more strap and really seal his legacy as one of the best ever. However, I see Lyoto being a stylistic nightmare for Dentures Dan, so I'm not holding my breath for that one...

I want Rhonda and Liz to have a double KO so there will be a rematch and all the haters can wallow and cry about two women headlining another card.:p

#58 ·
"Hehe, guys, cooome on, I'm just playin around. I mean, you all are a bunch of F**s, but seriously! I'm just pokin fun.

GAYS, err I mean people, are equal with everyone else, except for the fact that they are worthless and should die a horrible death."

*meanwhile in inner monologue*

"I want Machida, so badly, I mean, freaks!, I can't believe they said he was good looking. but his face is really cute... I mean no! etc..."

#61 ·
I'm not going to lie, nationality plays a mild part in who I root for. Of course it's certainly not the most important factor, but if two fighters from different nationalities I like are facing each other, odds are I'm going to root for the American guy. I've got nothing against some of the nationalities that are represented in the UFC. I've been to Canada and the UK and love both places. I don't root for many Brazilian fighters (Machida and Maia being huge exceptions) but I have nothing against Brazil.

But of course because I'm American, it's bad to be patriotic :p

Back on topic,

I'm pretty torn about the main event. On one hand, I want Rousey to lose simply because I like Carmouche a lot and I want to see the look on Dana's face should that be the result. On the other hand, if Rousey loses, Women's MMA wll likely take a large step back. I think that the UFC have some ladies that could potentially be pretty marketable (IMO).
I'm a big fan of both Machida and Henderson. I'd like to see Henderson win because I want him to get his last shot at the belt and go out on a high note, win or lose. I want to see Machida win because I truly believe that he is capable of beating Jon Jones, despite his loss a little over a year ago. Either way I'll be happy and sad with the result.
I like Menjivar but Faber is one of my favorite fighters. I'd like to see Faber pull off the win.
Wouldn't mind seeing Court win in his WW debut. His drop is long overdue.
I'd love for Lawler to knock Koscheck out, but that's wishful thinking. Lawler has looked like hell lately.
Seeing Schaub try and ride another imaginary bicycle to heaven again would be wonderful.

Reactions: Ape City
#65 ·
Ronda to lose and all this stupid bull to be over with and Hendo to win just so all the little Machida fan boys can crawl in a ******* hole. Even though I like Machida, some of you guys are annoying as piss. I want Lawler to punch a hole straight through Koschecks face.

#66 ·
Ronda to lose and all this stupid bull to be over with and Hendo to win just so all the little Machida fan boys can crawl in a ******* hole. Even though I like Machida, some of you guys are annoying as piss. I want Lawler to punch a hole straight through Koschecks face.
Piss isn't annoying. It's delicious.

Sincerely,
Machida fans.

Reactions: Soojooko
#70 ·
Most people find symetry and proper proportions to be attractive. Lyoto definitely has some of the characteristics. To put it the way my wife just said it "he certainly isn't bad looking".

Plus that is kind of a bad picture of machida. Looks like he just finished a workout. He looks way more badass here:

#73 ·
Most people find symetry and proper proportions to be attractive. Lyoto definitely has some of the characteristics. To put it the way my wife just said it "he certainly isn't bad looking".

Plus that is kind of a bad picture of machida. Looks like he just finished a workout. He looks way more badass here:
^^^ Hah!!!! Love it.

I read an interesting article about how symmetry produces better athletes. It makes sense.

I've been obsessed with muscle symmetry / posture etc ever since. One of the reasons I constantly switch between regular stance and south paw I suppose.

#79 ·
...My take is that Machida & Hendo will go the distance to a decision. I can't see Hendo covering Machida's distance to land that right hand to finish the fight.(Oddly Shogun did in stunning fashion). I do see Machida staying on the outside, avoiding any clinching and chopping Dan up with kick/punch combos. It's not if but a matter of when Dan takes Lyoto to the ground. Dan won't get knocked out or submitted but he most likely will put Machida on his back if he starts getting lit up...

...Ronda & Liz should live up to the hype. Ronda's striking is getting tight, Liz likes to bang & has good hands. It's gonna be fought at a brutal pace. I hope Liz likes Rollercoasters, cause she's going for a ride on a wicked hiptoss or two...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.