Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Frankie Edgar eyeing five-round UFC main event fight against Cub Swanson next

3K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  Stapler 
#1 ·
Report: Frankie Edgar eyeing five-round UFC main event fight against Cub Swanson next
By Mike Bohn on Feb 19, 11:02p

Former No. 1 UFC featherweight contender Frankie Edgar already has his sights set for a possible return to the Octagon, with "The Answer" interested in an upcoming a five-round main event fight against Cub Swanson on FUEL TV or FX.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion and featherweight title challenger Frankie Edgar is looking to get back in the win column sooner than later, and "The Answer" believes Cub Swanson is the right man to help get him there.

On Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV, correspondent Ariel Helwani reported the New Jersey native would like to fight Swanson in a five-round UFC main event on a FUEL TV or FX card later this year.

Edgar (15-4-1) is riding a career-worst three-fight losing streak after back-to-back defeats to current 155-pound champion Ben Henderson and then a subsequent loss to featherweight champ Jose Aldo at UFC 156 in his 145-pound debut earlier this month.

The 31-year-old gave Aldo arguably his toughest fight to date and is eager to climb back up the 145-pound ladder in hopes of earning a rematch with "Scarface" in the near future.

A victory over Swanson would be a good start.

Swanson (19-5) is on the upswing in the featherweight division, riding a four-fight win-streak that includes a unanimous decision win over Dustin Poirier at UFC on FUEL TV 7 in England. Prior to the victory, the Greg Jackson-trained athlete had earned three consecutive technical-knockout victories, catapulting himself up the rankings at UFC 145.

Edgar is currently the No. 4 featherweight in the official UFC rankings, while Swanson sits at No. 5.

Usually booking a mixed martial arts (MMA) match up between a fighter on a three-fight skid and a fighter on a four-fight win-streak would seem illogical, but in this instance it isn't entirely unrealistic.

Helwani also mentioned that if a main event fight with Swanson doesn't pan out, Edgar would be willing to fight him -- or German juggernaut Dennis Siver -- at UFC 160, which is scheduled for May 25, 2013, in Las Vegas.

MMAmania.com will have more on Edgar's next fight as soon as it is formally announced.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/19/4...swanson-five-round-ufc-main-event-fx-fuel-mma

#2 ·
Oh this is an awesome fight. Especially over 5 rounds.

Edgar takes it with a late round tko i think. He may get rocked a few times as Cub hits like a truck, but I don't think Swanson can put captain Iron face away, ever.

Huge opportunity for Swanson. Definitely a #1 contender match.

#5 ·
Like Maynard?

Who exactly has finished Ben Henderson or Aldo, or BJ at lightweight? Yeah exactly. No one is finishing him either.

#6 ·
This is going to be a fight for a round or two and then Cub will gas. Swanson slowed down significantly in the second round against Poirier and would have lost if Poirier hadn't slowed down too. Frankie is not going to do him that favor, he's going to be there for five rounds, he's gonna be on his toes all the time, he's gonna bleed from the nose and he's gonna throw.

#8 ·
Ugh. No Frankie, just no. No one riding a three fight losing streak should be headlining. Take your respective step back, fight in a three round fight. Five rounders are for winners.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

#34 ·
YES!!!! I hope this gets confirmed! Swanson has looked outstanding in his last couple of fights. Cub wants a title shot and Frankie is coming off 3 losses in a row so both guys will be looking to make a huge statement.

I would give Edgar the slight edge, despite him coming off 3 losses - they were all razor close and they were to champions.

If it turns out we get Edgar/Siver instead I would take Frankie easily.

#45 ·
Some of these guys need a good dose of "shut the fu*k up".

I'm getting sick of everyone trying to talk their way into fights that they don't deserve. He's lost 3 fights (I don't care that they were against top talent/champions), he shouldn't be headlining anything. Moreover - this is just another reason why non-title fights should have never been made 5 rounds.

Title shot = 5 rounds
Everything else = 3 rounds.

None of this arbitrary BS of whoever headlines gets 5 rounds. Obviously Frankie wants 5 rounds against Cub... Cub probably will gas after 2 or 3, or at least slow tremendously. Frankie has gone 5 rounds 6 times now... it's obvious he wants to pace himself to a decision win...

#57 ·
It's hard to be a fan of Frankie because some people are calling him the uncrowned lightweight and featherweight champion. In that case, I'll call a fresh Maynard the uncrowned lightweight champion. He's only 1-1-1 against Edgar after all and seems to out class him when they both are fresh. May be ridiculous logic of me to use, but that's how I see their logic behind him being a multiple divisional champion. Edgar lost, get over it.. You're not a judge, you're not trained to be a judge, well at least I'm assuming that. Edgar should just use these incidents as motivation to train harder so he can out class his opponents without a shadow of a doubt.

I realize it's unfair to blame Frankie for some of his fans remarks, so that's why I'm on the fence about him as a fighter.

Anyways, to stay on topic.. I think he could beat Swanson, but apart of me sees another controversial decision. I just hope if Edgar wins, he can make it a decisive win because I feel like this forum blows up every time he fights. Swanson has improved so much though so I expect this to be quite competitive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.