MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Frankie Edgar eyeing five-round UFC main event fight against Cub Swanson next

View Single Post

Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER

OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Around View Post
I do agree to some degree that LW is a step above the ones below it. I think it goes WW + above, then LW, then everything below LW. But even LW has had trouble drawing, hence why Bendo/Diaz was on TV. I know Cain/JDS was on TV, but that was the first fight so it had to be something huge (originally supposed to be Lesnar vs. Overeem).

Aldo/Bendo drew like crap the second time around, and the first time it drew not so good even with a strong overall card. Edgar/Maynard WITH Aldo title fight and a Sonnen fight couldn't get the same as Rampage/Hammill. I think that shows the drawing power (or lack there of) of the lighter classes.
I think over time that will improve. LW was gone for awhile but I think it really done a great job of establishing what many consider to be the deepest weight class in MMA. For years the LHW division was considered to be the most stacked weight class in MMA. But in recent years LW has taken over that role. There are quite a few LWs that are known fighters now. Even going back to BJ Penn and Kenny Florian. The lower weight classes are much newer divisions. People aren't as familiar with most of the fighters still. You could be right and people may never pickup on the lower weight classes. I think eventually the FW division will be like the LW division is today. It's already added a ton of depth over the last couple of years. I'm not as confident in the weigh classes below that catching on. I'll always love them but I'm not sure the public will ever share those feelings. Just my personal thoughts. You could be right, time will tell.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote